Professional Assistant I Office of Financial Aid
Professional Assistant I (PAI) – Office of Financial Aid
Announcement is hereby made for a full-time (12-month), tenure-track position as a Professional Assistant I (PAI) in the College’s Office of Financial Aid, beginning in August 2019 and located on the Ammerman Campus in Selden. Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Unit III position covered under the Faculty Association of Suffolk County Community College collective bargaining agreement with the College.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide information to students and families on all aspects of the financial aid process. Trouble-shoot eligibility/payment issues and conduct all follow-up as necessary.
- Meet with financial aid applicants individually and in groups to provide information and assistance with the Financial Aid and enrollment processes. Meet with current and prospective students during appointments to assist with completing financial aid applications and bill confirmation processes.
- Administer the New York State Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) program. Establish and disseminate policies and procedures in collaboration with the Campus Director of Financial Aid and Central Financial Aid. Review applications and determine recipients, monitor annual allocation and expenditures and review APTS reports.
- Assist the Counselor with the administration of the Federal Work Study (FWS) program. Work in collaboration with the Campus Director, the Counselor, Central Financial Aid and Career Services to update forms, maintain FWS waiting list, review FWS reports and adjust awards throughout the semester. Coordinate with Career Services on campus job placement needs and serve as liaison with College Payroll and students’ supervisors as necessary.
- Package students for financial aid. Determine eligibility for new state aid programs, including the Excelsior Scholarship. Meet with potential Excelsior students to discuss NYS requirements for eligibility and renewal.
- Train and supervise Financial Aid Office FWS students. Evaluate office needs each semester and complete all hiring activities.
- Assist in staff training and development to assure compliance with federal and state rules and regulations and institutional policies and procedures. Assist the Director of Financial Aid with ensuring Financial Aid service delivery is responsive to student needs.
- In coordination with the Director and Central Financial Aid, oversee compliance with all federal and state rules and regulations, as well as College policies and procedures.
- Attend on- and off-campus recruiting events. Provide financial aid seminars and workshops on and off campus.
- Serve on campus and College committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid or designated supervisor.
A Bachelor’s degree and significant experience in providing financial aid services to students and families are required. Financial aid experience at the community college level is preferred.
Click on the following link:
Select position #19-42 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.