Assistant Vice President/Chief of Staff
Assistant Vice President/Chief of Staff
Job no: 523965
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Admissions/Financial Aid/Enrollment Management, Executive/Management/Director, Student Life/Services
Department: Student Services and Enrollment Management
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA12-Fiscal Year 2018-2019
Application Review Begins
June 14, 2019; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your online application including three professional references, please upload a current CV/resume and cover letter.
The Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management advances the University of Oregon's tradition of excellence by enrolling and retaining high-achieving scholars from Oregon, across the country, and around the world. We work on behalf of prospective students, current students, and their families through each phase of the enrollment process: the college search, admission, registration, financial aid, matriculation, transition, and onward to graduation.
This position reports directly to the Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment Management. As Assistant Vice President & Chief of Staff (AVP & COS), the person in this position serves as the principal aide to the Vice President, handling a wide range of matters of institutional importance on behalf of the Vice President. The position also oversees all day-to-day operations of the Office of the Vice President, including management of staff, budget and personnel administration, communication and division policies and procedures. The AVP & COS is responsible for cultivating and maintaining strong professional relationships with key personnel in all areas of the university, including those reporting directly to the president and other vice presidents. The AVP & COS serves as a member of the Vice President’s Leadership Team and on the institutional leadership team’s Chiefs of Staff group.
The Assistant Vice President and Chief of Staff (AVP) develops and directs fiscal and resource strategies, plans and policies for the Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management (SSEM), a complex Responsibility Center, which includes Admissions, Continuing & Professional Education, Counseling Center, Financial Aid and Scholarships, SSEM Research, New Student Orientation, Registrar, Strategic Communications, University Health Center, University Housing, Catering & Dining, and University Testing Center. The AVP focuses on strategic processes consistent with the university’s enrollment goals and student service initiatives. Provides leadership in collaboration with other Assistant Vice Presidents, Associate Vice President and RC directors for the successful planning of resources, processes, and technology to ensure effective operations that affect all potential and enrolled students as well as academic units. Provides consultation and advice to the Vice President, RC directors and campus leadership regarding student services and enrollment management initiatives and strategies. The AVP oversees research development related to market research, enrollment strategy and forecasts to meet enrollment goals and retention strategies. The Student Services and Enrollment Management operations budget is over $16 million.
• Masters degree
• Ten years of experience in higher education with at least eight years in student services.
• Demonstrated experience in traditional functional areas in student service & enrollment management.
• Extensive experience in University Administration.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively and interact effectively with an organization's leadership, students, faculty, and staff, as well as community and government agencies.
• Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to summarize and effectively present data.
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with diverse internal and external constituencies.
• Earned doctorate in higher education administration.
• Five years' experience in a leadership position of an enrollment management functional area with an emphasis on a broad scope of administrative experience.
• Ability to present to small and large groups.
FLSA Exempt: Yes