Director of Assessment
Director of Assessment
Job Number: 83310
Job Code: 4749
Job Grade: L
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), within the Vice Provost Office of Teaching and Learning (VPTL), collaborates with faculty, departments, schools, and campus partners to enrich the depth and range of Stanford learning experiences. CTL supports the development of evidence-based and inclusive learning and teaching practices, educational programs and training, communities of practice for instructors and learners at Stanford.
This position will be responsible for developing ongoing mechanisms so that the work of CTL is informed by data. The Director will be responsible, in conjunction with the Associate Vice Provost and in collaboration with other senior staff members, for building the Center and University's culture of assessment, including the support of faculty ownership of individual and disciplinary assessment and evaluation, and cultivation of practices that integrate assessment with teaching in synergistic ways. This position will also be responsible for disseminating evidence of the Center's impact through this work, via mechanisms that may include the website, professional conferences, consortia, and national-level networks. The Director will lead the design and implementation of evaluation and assessment strategies targeting teaching and learning initiatives at the course, department, and institutional level, for both residential and online learning. This position may supervise additional exempt staff; the position will provide guidance to CTL personnel and VPTL more broadly, and will consult with faculty, academic program directors, and leaders of CTL/VPTL initiatives in articulating and assessing educational program outcomes.
- Partner with schools, departments, and instructors to identify and respond to needs in course and curriculum assessment, and in formative evaluation of teaching efforts. Develop methodology to implement assessment.
- Set up meetings or working groups with CTL and VPTL colleagues. Develop a close partnership with IR&DS and other campus offices to develop strategies and requirements around data collection (quantitative and qualitative) and storage for assessment and evaluation of teaching and learning.
- Work with IR&DS and the Student Data Oversight Committee to fulfill data requests in accordance with university policy and practices
- In response to requests for assessment support in 1:1 consultation, departmental or committee meetings, finding and implementing validated tools for assessment of teaching and learning goals. Working with partners such as GSE to develop new tools if needed.
- As appropriate, utilizing both quantitative and qualitative data sets at the individual class session level (including the types of assessment), course level (how performance is evaluated), and curricular or programmatic level to suggest what to change or continue within a particular context.
- Provide consulting services to the Schools, departments and offices of the IR&DS, VPDD, VPGE, VPUE, etc. in their assessment efforts and curricular decisions.
- Develop strategic plans for CTL to implement evidence-based assessment and evaluation methods for its programs, and for campus partners at the department, school and university level.
- Work with VPTL colleagues and IRDS and other campus offices to develop VPTL strategies around classroom and curricular assessment and evaluation methods with the goal to enhance student learning and instructional effectiveness, including workshop development and facilitation.
- In collaboration with IR&DS develop a set of data management practices and policies for the types of data associated with teaching and learning assessment.
- Build collaborative and complementary partnerships with the Schools, departments and offices of the IR&DS, VPDD, VPGE, VPUE, etc. to develop a framework for data collection, including survey data.
- In collaboration with graduate students from GSE, would conduct the duties listed. The team is expected to grow, therefore the candidate would also serve as project manager
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and seven years of extensive, relevant experience with classroom assessment and evaluation or combination of education and relevant technical field experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. in social sciences, education, assessment)
- 3+ years proven effectiveness in teaching in a college or research university setting
- 2-3 years of proven effectiveness in supporting evaluation and assessment programs at a college or research university
- 1-3 years in administrative experience with programs and complex projects with multiple deadlines
- 1-3 years in faculty teaching development
- 1-3 years in program management, especially complex projects with multiple deadlines
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated understanding of issues pertaining to teaching and learning in a research university
- Facility in manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources.
- Extensive experience in and strong passion for empirical research and answering hard questions with data.
- Interpersonal and communication skills to effectively convey findings and broad trends to a variety of audiences and positively influence senior leadership & faculty.
- Ability to use data retrieval and manipulation tools such as SQL, Brio Query, Business Objects and the like along with visual data tools to present data clearly to non-technical audiences.
- Advanced proficiency with statistical tools such as SPSS, SAS, R or similar tools.
- Ability to tell stories with data using data visualization software such as Tableau, Excel, SPSS, or similar software in conjunction with strong verbal ability.
- Ability to use visual data tools to clearly articulate data to non-technical audiences.
- Flexible analytical approach crafting multiple options with supporting arguments for the same goal and allowing for results at varying levels of precision.
- Facilitation skills to conduct meetings to achieve the desired outcome and manage projects within time constraints.
- In depth knowledge of University administrative organization, policies, procedures, and practices for institutional research-oriented roles.
- Knowledge of research literature on assessment and evaluation of teaching and learning in higher education and the ability to translate that knowledge into practice
- Demonstrated experience and ability to collaboratively and constructively with a diversity of people at multiple levels (undergraduates, graduate students, postdocs, lecturers, faculty, and staff) and with multiple perspectives
- Demonstrated effectiveness in assisting faculty and subject matter experts to assess learning needs and to develop high-impact solutions to enhance student learning
- Interpersonal and communication skills to effectively convey findings and broad trends to a variety of audiences and positively influence senior leadership & faculty
- Ability to work independently and in teams and to take the initiative, especially in new ventures
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to listen effectively, to provide tactful feedback and support, and to use sound judgment in confidential matters
Certifications and Licenses:
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4749
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L
- Requisition ID: 83310
Location: Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency