American Indian Student Advisor
American Indian Student Advisor
Tracking Code911-636 Job Description
Department: Advising Services
Reports To: Director – Advising and Student Success
FLSA Status: Exempt
The purpose of this position is to provide proactive academic advising and support to North Idaho College prospective and current students, with a primary focus on American Indian students. This position will assist with American Indian student recruitment and provide guidance to students’ academic and career exploration and provide appropriate referrals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Assists prospective and enrolled students in identifying and clarifying career and educational goals.
- Assists prospective and enrolled students in developing meaningful educational plans aligned with the students’ goals and objectives.
- Assesses program functions and tracks retention, completion, and outcomes of focused student populations.
- Helps students to successfully navigate through the enrollment process, including participation and collaboration in NIC orientation programs.
- Develops and implements workshops, training, and other programming designed to assist students in areas of academics, career, and under-graduate transfer.
- Mentors students in college success skills and proactively refers students to resources of the college, community and tribal communities.
- Advocates for recognizing and meeting the unique needs of American Indian students.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with cultural, spiritual and council leaders for the Coeur d'Alene and other tribes to support student success.
- Assists in the recruitment of American Indian students to NIC.
- Assists in developing and implementing campus programming around American Indian themes.
- Supervises part time and/or work study employee(s).
- Maintains a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and work relationship with supervisor, college staff, students, and the community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum qualifications necessary for an individual to satisfactorily perform each essential duty and be successful in the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of related experience and/or training required with American Indian cultural knowledge, experience in working with American Indian students and various tribes, and advising in a higher education setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of college operations, higher education and career advising, and American Indian student needs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to conduct effective training and presentations
- Proficient skills using Microsoft Office applications
- Basic skills using student records system
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including phone and copier
- Ability to travel
- Ability to perform duties on weekend and/or evenings as necessary
- Knowledge of and skills in personal budget management
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands & work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or are encountered by an employee in the normal course of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements and environment are typical of those in a general office setting. This job involves regular sitting, standing, walking, typing, moving, lifting objects up to 10 pounds and exposure to office lighting. A wide variety of standard office equipment is continually used, including phone, copier, printer and computer. Occasional local, regional or national travel may be required.
Applicant is responsible for reading and following the application instructions to ensure successful application submittal.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR THIS POSITION
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they have submitted all required materials, as listed below. Following application submittal, applicant can login via the Modify Your Application link (to the right) to view application profile:
1) Completed online profile, including the following TWO uploaded documents:
UPLOADED IN STEP 5 OF PROFILE – Cover letter which addresses your qualifications for this position (please do not combine letter with resume)
UPLOADED IN STEP 5 OF PROFILE – Resume (please do not combine resume with letter)
2) Upon request, you may be asked to complete the NIC E-Application Form.
This request (if made) will come to you via e-mail.
3) Upon hire, official transcripts of highest degree listed on application will be required.
4) You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background check.
Location: NIC Campus
Opening Date: May 24, 2019
Closing Date: All materials must be received by Noon, June 14, 2019
Anticipated Starting Date: July 22, 2019
Compensation: $39,028 - $46,834 per year, DOE. Excellent benefits, including retirement.
Work Schedule: Minimum 40 hours per week, year round
View benefits overview here
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics
The safety of all members of the campus community is of vital concern to North Idaho College. Information regarding crime prevention advice, the law enforcement authority of Campus Security, policies concerning the reporting of any crimes which occurred on the campus (and other specified locations), other security and safety-related policies, as well as the crime statistics for the most recent 3-year period may be found in the Campus Safety and Security Guide and Annual Fire Safety Report. A paper copy of the Campus Safety & Security Guide and Annual Fire Safety Report may be obtained by contacting the Campus Security at 208-769-3310.
Job Location Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular