Public Health Capstone Mentor Faculty - PT - School of Nursing & Health Scienes
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-01-14
These part-time dissertation mentor faculty roles are based in the School of Nursing and Health Sciences, and will be assigned in our Public Health degree program to mentor individual PH learners in their capstone research projects. We desire doctorally prepared educators, health-related agency administrators/leaders, and scholars to join our Public Health doctoral faculty. In addition, faculty with expertise in research and evidence based practice project development and implementation are specifically sought.
Capella University seeks out faculty who combine top academic credentials with working or practitioner experience in the fields they teach. Our faculty provide a variety of educational opportunities to our degree and certificate learners. Faculty are responsible for meeting the expectations and requirements of the Capella learner while establishing and maintaining effective relationships. Faculty ensure that learners receive quality educational experiences consistent with stated course outcomes as well as accreditation standards. Capella values the capabilities and talents of its faculty and expects continued learning and development through practice in the discipline or outside scholarly activities.
Primary responsibilities of our faculty include:
- Teaching (online), demonstrating knowledge of adult learning theory and practices, to include learning contracts, collaborative learning, and active learning strategies
- Building an online community conducive to the spirit of learning and continuous improvement in a positive, learner-focused environment
- Assessing learning through feedback, coaching, and interpersonal skills
- Making a positive impact on learner retention and persistence
- Contributing to curriculum and course development.
Other faculty activities may include:
- Faculty staff meetings
- Specialized responsibilities or coordinating functions within departments
Part-time faculty engage in a continuous relationship with Capella, and we are committed to providing work assignments on an ongoing quarterly basis. Only part-time faculty members may participate in Mentoring or Committee work assignments or any other work assignment that may span four or more quarters.
All faculty candidates will be required to complete an unpaid faculty development course as a pre-requisite for employment. This is an essential part of the selection process for both the faculty member and Capella.
- Each faculty member will have a workload that varies based upon his/her expertise and the needs of the graduate nursing programs. Following are the accountabilities expected for faculty in the primary areas of responsibility:
- Course Participation: Provides expertise in subject matter; facilitates course discussions ensuring active participation among learners creating entries at least 3-6 times per week; responds to learner inquiries within 24-48 hours; assesses learner assignments and engagement; provides appropriate feedback, coaching and reinforcement of effective critical thinking; reports at risk learners to appropriate school staff; encourages learner participation in course-end evaluation forms; provide innovative input designed to make teaching practices more effective; adheres to quality standards and defines quality at course level in line with departmental and university norms.
- DPH Mentoring and Committee Work : Facilitates ongoing progress toward successful completion of scholarly projects; reviews and critiques learner work, providing relevant feedback; participates in scholarly project committee meetings
- Curriculum Development: Participates in the design and development of courses and course materials including course plans, objectives, outcomes, teaching aids, activities and evaluation tools. Ensures sensitivity to race, gender and disability in curriculum design, course content and study materials
- School Governance and Faculty Committees: Actively participates in appropriate school and university committees and councils
- Virtual attendance at faculty meetings, Capella-sponsored faculty development offerings, and other events is required.
- Infrequent travel to attend commencement and other major events may be requested, but not required.
Variety and Complexity of Work Expected:
- Developing course content, translating subject matter and facilitating complex learning in a web- based environment
- Resolving learner/academic focused problems relative to achievement of academic goals; requires independent judgment and decision making
- Responsibilities are generally not prescribed and have broad parameters that will lead to the mastery of the subject matter and application or practice of learned proficiencies in the professional field
- Positively impacts learner retention and persistence
- Acts under general guidance and collegial consultation regarding development of course content and providing constructive input regarding university practices
• Relevant practice experience in area of teaching or mentoring
• Two- years teaching in a relevant academic or practice setting
• Online teaching experience (or strong desire to develop competency) and ability to relate to learners in an online setting.
• Experience that demonstrates an understanding of the specific needs of the non-traditional adult learner.
• Demonstrated contribution and commitment to the field of health care administration, such as publishing, professional practice, and/or professional association involvement.
• DPH research capstone project mentors must have demonstrated expertise in a defined area of scholarly methodology and analysis.
- • A Doctorate in Public Health or related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
• Masters in Public Health or related field (business, nursing, health care admin., etc.) from a regionally accredited institution is required.
Certificates, licenses and registrations
- Must be able to travel 0-10% of time.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
- Typical office setting.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
- Travel via plane, car, and metro may be required to perform this job.
- Must be able to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant
- Access information using a computer.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job.
- Other essential functions and marginal job functions are subject to modification
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at [email protected]