Head Coach, Men's Basketball
Posting DateMay 29, 2019 Position TitleHead Coach, Men's Basketball Vacancy #V-1667 DepartmentIntercollegiate Athletics DivisionStudent Devel And Campus Life Job Description
Montclair State University, designated as a public research university, is New Jersey’s second largest university, with 11 colleges and schools, serving over 21,000 students on a beautiful 252-acre campus approximately 12 miles from New York City. The University competes in NCAA Division III and is a member of the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC), fielding 18 varsity sports for approximately 475 student athletes. The University seeks an outstanding Head Coach for Men’s Basketball, with the experience, leadership skills, and preparation to build a strong program into one of the top, most competitive Division III programs in the nation. Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Coach for Men’s Basketball will be charged with the responsibility for the total organization, administration and supervision of the men’s basketball program and for fostering the academic success, athletic performance, and character development of a highly diverse group of student athletes.
The Head Coach will have specific responsibility for: recruitment of student athletes; development of individual student and team athletic performance; athletic training, conditioning, health and well-being of team members; academic performance and character development of team members; recruitment, supervision, and evaluation of assistant coaches and student employees; compliance with NCAA Division III and New Jersey Athletic Conference standards, laws, and policies; leadership of a strong program of activities and outreach to engage alumni and community in building support for the men’s basketball program; preparation and administration of the budget for the men’s basketball program; the oversight of all practices, contests, team travel arrangements; the monitoring of related equipment and facilities, safety standards, and inventory control; and other activities that will contribute to the quality and success of the men’s basketball program and the overall Intercollegiate Athletic program.
- A minimum of five years of successful experience as a coach in an NCAA men’s basketball program
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- Deep knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations and an understanding of the philosophy of Division III athletics
- Professional integrity and commitment to developing the positive potential of students, athletically, educationally, and personally
- A competitive spirit and proven experience in building competitive programs
- The ability to function effectively in a large, public, and highly diverse university environment
- Strong leadership qualities, as well as the disposition to work effectively and enthusiastically with colleagues in support of the whole Intercollegiate Athletic program and the larger University
- Strong management experience and skills, including personnel, budget and program management
- The experience and aptitude to build external support for the Men’s Basketball program including cultivating donors and alumni, generating regional and state-wide interest in and attendance at men’s basketball team events, and engaging the team’s coaches and student athletes with the University’s regional communities
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to enhance the University’s visibility and reputation via the men’s basketball team
- Strong interpersonal skills and mentoring skills
- Proven commitment to diversity, and the ability to create a team environment that is respectful and welcoming to all and embraces a shared mission
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).