Adjunct Assistant Professor, German
Adjunct Assistant Professor, GermanTracking Code190554 Job Description
Johnson County Community College is looking to fill a part-time adjunct faculty position in the Foreign Languages department to teach Elementary German and Intermediate language courses. JCCC is located in Overland Park, KS, the second largest city in the state of Kansas and part of the greater Kansas City Metro. The Kansas City Metro is known for its museums, restaurants, and music and art scenes. JCCC is similarly dedicated to creating and maintaining a rich cultural community, with an award-winning contemporary art museum and center for the performing arts located on campus.
JCCC is looking for a diverse pool of applicants for a part-time adjunct faculty position in the Foreign Language Department to teach German courses. The Foreign Language Department offers courses in Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish and is part of the Communications Division. Many of our students are non-traditional, military veterans, immigrants, international and first-generation college students. JCCC has a diverse student population and is dedicated to increasing its diversity.
The successful applicant for this job will teach the equivalent of 3-10 credit hours per semester in German. This person will perform other duties expected of adjunct faculty, to include collaborating and working successfully with other full-time faculty in the Foreign Language department and other duties as assigned. Teaching assignments could be day or evening courses, and are subject to change as needed. Additional responsibilities include the following:
• Provide extra and co-curricular opportunities for German language students.
• Participate in the planning and administration of all departmental initiatives.
• Participate in on-campus events promoting languages.
- Demonstrated ability to teach Elementary and Intermediate level German language courses
- Demonstrated excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Documentation from ACTFL (OPI) of Advanced Mid or higher in German
- Demonstrated knowledge of using technology in the classroom
- Demonstrated understanding of the climate of post-secondary institutions
- Demonstrated knowledge of ACTFL World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- M.A. in German or an MA in a related discipline with at least 18 hours of graduate work in German as required by JCCC HLC criteria
- Demonstrated 2 years teaching experience at the post-secondary level and/or 4 years of high school teaching experience
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.Job Location Overland Park, Kansas, United StatesPosition TypePart-Time