Equipment & Laboratory Manager - Fabric Discovery Center
Equipment & Laboratory Manager - Fabric Discovery CenterJob no: 500687
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Plastics Engineering
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and grade
Applications Open: May 28 2019
Applications Close: Oct 10 2019
General Summary of Position:
The Fabric Discovery Center at the University Massachusetts Lowell is seeking an Equipment & Laboratory Manager to support UMass Lowell Faculty, Students and Post-doctoral fellows in research projects and with companies in their prototyping needs related to advanced fibers and textiles and flexible hybrid electronics. The position will involve identifying the appropriate fabrication equipment/processes and facilitating the fabrication and testing of prototypes for the flexible hybrid electronics and advanced fiber and textile industries. The principal role of the position is to work on short term projects alongside the technical program managers, UMass Lowell Faculty, Post-doctoral researchers, students and industry partners. More specifically, the position will a) operate textile equipment such as weaving and knitting, run plastics processing equipment, coating lines (roll-to-roll (RTR) and wire coating line) and create flexible electronic prototype devices, b) prepare standard operating procedures for operating, calibrating and maintaining fabrication and testing equipment, and train internal and external users, troubleshoot and carry out preventive maintenance of equipment located at the Center and c) maintain strong working relationships with internal and external partners that will support the growth of the Center.
- Operate textile processing and testing equipment including yarn twisting, weaving, knitting, braiding equipment to assemble smart fabric/technical textiles
- Ability to run plastics processing equipment, such as compounders, extruders, injection molders, RTR and wire coating lines will be advantageous
- Familiarity with printing techniques and electronic assembly to fabricate electronic prototypes is also preferred
- Involvement in the design of experiments with all stakeholders and partners to identify the appropriate equipment for each project.
- Provide guidance for the characterization of the materials and prototype devices using a wide range of chemical, mechanical and electrical techniques, including textile testing equipment, TMA, TGA, DSC, mechanical testing, spectrophotometry, electrical properties, etc.
- Ability to learn about new characterization techniques
- Preparation of processing procedures, train internal and external users, troubleshoot and maintain equipment
- The position will be expected to perform other activities related to the growth of the Center including identification of relevant new equipment for purchase or loan
- Activities are research based and are not routine
- Contact with industry partners, faculty members, other staff as well as graduate and undergraduate students
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree in plastics engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or related fields is required
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes of textile and electronics as well as characterization of materials
- Knowledge of electronic circuitry, advanced textiles and fabrics, and polymers to build prototype
- A minimum 5 to 10 years hands-on experience in Industry
- Ability to run and trouble-shoot textile and electronics fabrication equipment as well as coating lines
- Understanding of characterization techniques for polymers and coatings
- Strong problem solving skills including equipment maintenance
- Good oral and written skills in order to write manufacturing process procedures and train others
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn new techniques outside of core expertise
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.