Prospect Management & Research Analyst - Advancement Services
Department:: Office of Institutional Advancement
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: May 28, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Summary of Position:
The Prospect Management and Research Analyst is an essential partner in the outreach, engagement, and fundraising efforts of the Office of Institutional Advancement (OIA) at Mills College. The Prospect Management and Research Analyst is responsible for conducting biographical and philanthropic capacity research on individuals, corporations, and foundations in an ongoing effort to develop the pool of prospective donors critical to the support of fundraising for Mills College. Additionally, this position is responsible for furthering fundraising efforts by providing and coordinating input on prospect assignment, cultivation, and solicitation strategies for frontline fundraisers. The Prospect Management and Research Analyst works in partnership with fundraisers to ensure that fundraisers have access to resources that enable them to maintain active portfolios and build donor relationships, while keeping them current on how their ongoing activities relate to overall fundraising goals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Research, analyze, and maintain information on prospects' background, wealth, interests, and capacity to give.
- Proactively identify prospective donors through the use of data screening and analysis and the monitoring of news alerts for alumnae and other related constituents.
- Collaborate with frontline fundraisers and alumnae relations staff to understand portfolio needs and opportunities, and build robust portfolios by ensuring quantity and quality, as well as prioritizing portfolios towards major gift opportunities.
- Design, enhance, and implement prospect management systems and related reports; regularly provide reports to help determine next steps with prospects and manage solicitation progress.
- In partnership with the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, coordinate monthly prospect review and management meetings, monthly portfolio check-ins, and quarterly metrics reviews.
- Implement and monitor news alerts on the College, the Mills Board of Trustees, and other people of interest.
- Provide technical training sessions for relationship managers and document procedures related to prospect management.
- Stay abreast of trends in the field of prospect research by participating in professional development opportunities and associations, such as the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement.
- Lead efforts for creating best practice documentation and tools to support systems and reports.
- Provide prospect management and research related training for cross training purposes.
- Contribute to the review and evaluation of research resources.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain safe work conditions and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures, and requirements.
- Cross-train to learn other areas and functions in OIA.
- Perform related duties as needed.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising principles, professional prospect research ethics, and donor confidentiality.
- Experience with large relational database system, including data entry, retrieving information, and generating reports.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly mail merge and Excel
- Ability to gather, manipulate, retrieve, analyze, and synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- Experience with Banner Advance
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to use discretion with confidential information and materials.
- Ability to work independently and manage several projects simultaneously while exercising critical thinking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proofing and editing abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Three or more years of prospect research experience.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands:
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours and using office equipment.
- The incumbent will often spend long hours on the computer entering personal data which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Work often requires bending to adjust or work with office equipment.
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds.
- The incumbent will be located in a busy, open office area. Interruptions and meeting with a variety of people will be required on a regular basis.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.