Information Systems Analyst - Advancement Services
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: May 24, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Director of Advancement Services
Summary of Position:
The Information Systems Analyst - Advancement Services evaluates, analyzes, designs, and maintains the College's Advancement Services Information System (currently Banner, an Ellucian ERP), as well as any other computer systems and products used to support Advancement Services' functions. This position provides cross-functional user support and training. Additionally, the position serves as a technical liaison between OIA and the main campus Information Technology Services (ITS) for maintenance, troubleshooting, training, and system upgrades.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design and implement technical solutions to improve departmental productivity; develop self-service tools; enhance Banner Advancement modules as needed;
- Produce segments for the annual fund and other direct marketing campaigns; liaise with the communications team;
- Provide analytics and reports for the annual fund and other staff to assess the outcomes of their work;
- Manage the import and export of constituent data from the online community, Registrar's office, etc.;
- Provide occasional training sessions on selected topics for Banner users in OIA;
- Document business rules and procedures; cross-train with the data coordinator;
- Work with ITS Department to manage functional roles granted in the Banner Advancement module and ensure information security policies are adhered to and enforced and product usage guidelines are followed;
- Provide support to departments by maintaining and enhancing systems through collaborating with ITS Department and other technical Banner staff as needed;
- Provide direction in developing testing methodology and test scripts for utilization during Banner upgrades and patches as well as in-house solutions. Communicate process or system changes to impacted parties and process owners;
- Provide guidance on best practices in privacy standards and ethical use of personal donor information;
- Provide guidance in the formulation and coordination of an end-user training strategy, and when appropriate, deliver such training;
- Facilitate business process review and application prototyping sessions as well as providing business process analysis and insight into best practices methodologies;
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in department meetings for project planning and direction setting.
- Maintain safe work conditions and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures, and requirements.
- Perform related duties as needed.
- Participate in internal and external user groups and listservs;
- Strong knowledge working in a functional/technical capacity with a good understanding of business processes, relational databases and table structures in an ERP, including structured database querying language, preferably in a higher education environment;
- Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to create Macros in MS Excel;
- Desktop automation skills to analyze complex enterprise data using tools such as PL/SQL, Crystal Reports, or Microsoft Access;
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of fundraising software, preferably Banner
- Experience working with Argos/Evision and dashboard software;
- Able to review, evaluate and recommended new tools/systems/databases and lead data migration efforts;
- Demonstrated problem-solving, decision-making, and analytical skills;
- Able to establish and maintain effective, productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment;
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public;
- Proven project management skills with the ability to provide the leadership and direction necessary for successful solution implementations;
- Demonstrated strong problem solving and self-starter attitude;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, collaborative work style, self-motivation and tolerance for shifting priorities;
- Team oriented with the ability to work with OIA staff and other campus departments;
- Comply with the College's Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in a development or fundraising office required, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Structured query language, /PL SQL preferred
- 3+ years of software support, maintenance and implementation.
- 3+ data query development, Banner Advancement preferred
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands:
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours and using office equipment. The incumbent will often spend long hours on the computer entering financial and demographic data which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Work occasionally requires bending to adjust or work with office equipment.
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 30 pounds.
- The incumbent will be located in a busy, open office area. Interruptions and meeting with a variety of people will be required on a regular basis.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter and
- contact information for three references
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.