Part-time Continuing Education ESL Instructor (West Park)
Part-time Continuing Education ESL Instructor (West Park)Tracking Code190549 Job Description
Teach English to non-native speakers by emphasizing reading, vocabulary development, listening, speaking, writing, grammar. Teach basic computer skills, civic/citizenship, workplace skills and life skills. Utilize on-line resources to teach in a classroom setting. Lesson planning and submission of weekly lesson plans to supervisor required. Work with community literacy volunteers. Maintain student charts and attendance records. Complete quarterly reports. Participate in new student intake such as registration and testing. Complete annual mandatory trainings. Participate in staff development activities both on-line and in-person. Must be available to attend periodic professional development activities typically held on Fridays (a.m. or p.m.) or Saturday mornings. Position is not located on the JCCC campus. Position is located at West Park Center or Center of Grace in Olathe. Position is not an adjunct faculty one. Hours can include: Mondays & Wednesdays 6:00-9:00 and Wednesday 4:30-5:30 (7 hours) OR Tuesdays & Thursdays 6:00-9:00 and Thursdays 4:30-5:30 (7 hours) OR Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:00 a.m.-noon and Thursdays 9:00-1:00. (13 hours).Required Skills
- Must be able to create and implement weekly lesson plans (not syllabi)
- Must be able to create and maintain a student-centered classroom
- Must be able to work with a diverse adult student population
- Must be able to assess student learning levels
- Must be able to work with community literacy volunteers
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software, on-line resources, and classroom technology
- Must be flexible and operate in a constantly changing teaching environment
- Must be able to work with multi-level learners
- Must be able to learn and teach prescribed curriculum
- Flexible Schedule
- Good classroom management skills
- Bachelor's degree in Education (K-12), English as a Second Language, or related area
- Experience with working with English Language learners
- 1 year teaching in a classroom setting (Not individual tutoring)
- TESOL Certificate from an accredited university or Master's degree in teaching English as a Second Language
- Experience working with adult learners
- Should be able to teach in a student-centered classroom for 3 hour sessions where cooperative learning is emphasized
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.Job Location Overland Park, Kansas, United StatesPosition TypePart-Time