Instructional Video Design Specialist-College Business eLearning (115035)
INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO DESIGN SPECIALIST
College of Business eLearning Office
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
Develop and produce digital instructional media for online degree courses in the Gies College of Business. Consult, assist and support instructors in the creation of pedagogically sound video content.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Instructional Media Design & Development
- Advise faculty offering video-driven creative course design suggestions that are part of the collaborative development of the course’s curriculum plan and syllabi.
- Provide leadership and collaborate with instructional designers in the creation of educational videos that follow instructional design principles.
- Meet with faculty to help design their upcoming courses and redesign existing courses. Advise faculty and instructional designers, offering creative suggestions for course design, working with them on curriculum and syllabi. Provide faculty with consultation and support services in the areas of instructional media design and development.
- Develop and produce pedagogically sound video content based on best practices for online learning. Collaborate with instructors on storyboards and planning documents to facilitate effective integration of online learning content, learning management system, slides, and student assessment. Knowledge and understanding of production of instructional video is key to this position.
- Work in studio shoots and on location. Efficiently edit videos using the digital media team’s standardized post-production processes.
- Coordinate instructional media design projects from inception to completion, and maintain files and records. Responsible for the coordination between media production and instructional design.
- Develop documentation on instructional media strategies, appropriate uses of instructional media and best practices.
Teaching & Learning Media Support:
- Provide guidance to faculty in effective uses of multimedia to more effectively run their courses, keep students engaged, and achieve better pedagogical outcomes.
- Work with faculty to create multimedia-based student assessments. Prepare learning aids to help students complete multimedia assessments in their courses.
- Monitor and track key course performance and student outcome metrics as they relate to instructional media. Compare metrics against other courses and other pedagogical practices to identify improvement opportunities. Analyze course evaluations. Recommend changes to course design, content and teaching methods and assess impact.
- Provide support to students, faculty and staff during live online class sessions during a weekend or evening occasionally on an as needed basis.
Training, Communication & Research
- Provide real-world mentoring and training to multimedia assistant students from the College of Media and other colleges for careers where they’ll need expertise in video shoots, lighting, sound, editing, and post-production.
- Design, develop, and deliver workshops and training to faculty and staff in the use of instructional media and educational best practices.
- Assist in research on instructional media best practices, technologies and multimedia hardware/software to support teaching and learning.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Required: Bachelor's degree in media production, instructional media or related field.
Preferred: Master’s degree in media production, instructional media or related field
Required: Minimum of two years actively working in video production. Must be experienced with pre-production, shooting in studio and on-location settings, editing, live production, media management of large scale productions, and a commitment to detailed work in creating online instructional media.
Preferred: Experience working with teaching faculty in the creation of instructional media; Location video shooting; Switching in a live broadcast video studio setting; Developing and maintaining digital media content at Illinois or other higher education academic environment; Creating and editing documentation; Participating in diverse workgroups; Past experience milestone-driven production environment.
Required: Proficiency with audio/video tools and skills including: Video and audio editing software (primarily Adobe products); Still image editing and manipulation for video delivery (primarily Adobe products); Network file storage and navigating server environments; Video lighting; Hardware and software based video switching; Studio and location microphone set-up; Audio mixing; Basic video color correction; Green screen and other keying techniques; Familiarity with Windows and Mac operating systems; Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Primarily PowerPoint); Clear communication through written documentation; Team attitude; and Personality that promotes a positive recording environment for both the instructor talent and the Digital Media Team.
Preferred: Motion Graphics with Adobe After Effects; Blackmagic Design and Sony Digital Cinema Cameras; Demonstrated ability to contribute to large-scale projects within established deadlines; Ability to work independently and as part of a team, including project management; Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references as a single PDF file by June 30, 2019. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email [email protected].
College Name or Administrative Unit:Gies College of Business Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Instructional Video Design Specialist-College Business eLearning (115035) Open Date:05/23/2019 Close Date:06/30/2019 Organization Name:eLearning