Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitlePostdoctoral Research AssociateDepartmentPhysics and AstronomyFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberP19106Open Date05/23/2019Close DateBenefits EligibleYesPosition Summary
The Ultracold Atoms and Plasmas Group at Rice university invites applications for a postdoctoral research associate to join our efforts study ultracold neutral plasmas. The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to the operation of experiments on laser cooling ions in the plasma and studying transport and collective modes in a classical, strongly interacting system. Experience with laser cooling or atoms, ions, or molecules is desirable.
PhD must be completed before starting the position.Education RequiredPhD or other Doctoral DegreeMajor/DisciplineEducation PreferredExperience Required1 yearType of Experience
Experimental atomic physics focusing on laser-atom interactions.Experience PreferredSkills Required
Ability to work collaboratively in groups, data analysis, strong communication skills.Skills Preferred
Laser spectroscopy, laboratory electronics, high vacuum techniques, Labview and
Working in Lab environment, using Lab safety standards and standing for long extended periods.Working Conditions
Working in a Lab.
Will occasionally need to work nights and or weekends on operation of the experiment.
PhD must be completed before starting the position.
Please ask your letter writers to send recommendations directly to [email protected]
2 letters of recommendation required.
- Analyses spectroscopic data and imagesPercentage of Time40 Job Duties Job Duty NameOperation/DevelopmentDescription of Job Duty
- Operation of the ultracold neutral plasma experiment
- Improvement of laser systems, electronics, and computer data analysis systems
- Prepares presentations and participation in physics and group meetingsPercentage of Time5Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree?
- Not currently, but I will have by July 2019
- * Do you have one or more years of experience in experimental atomic physics focusing on laser-atom interactions?