Risk and Legal Associate
Risk and Legal AssociatePOSITION SUMMARY
The Risk and Legal Associate coordinates numerous university-wide processes, including, but not limited to Off-Campus Travel Management, numerous lines of insurance coverage and associated claims, the Policy Warehouse, Contract Management, and the Compliance Calendar. The Risk and Legal Associate also provides administrative support to both the University Counsel and the Director of Risk Management.
This position reports to University Counsel and the Director of Risk Management.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESGeneral Duties
- Serves as the initial point of contact for phone and personal inquiries; Composes and edits correspondence, reports, and other documents including legal and business filings; Assists with a variety of tasks relevant to the office, including presentations, travel arrangements, reservations, etc.; Processes purchase orders, check requests, expense reports, purchasing cards (P-cards), invoices, journal entries and other related business transactions; Organizes, gathers and manages information needed for specific projects and initiatives; Provides scheduling and calendar maintenance; Takes minutes as requested for various committees and events; Oversees the maintenance of filing systems, including document imaging tasks and scanning; and, Performs other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to phone, mail coverage, and additional support during absences and vacations.
- Reviews and evaluates off-campus activity (OCA) requests, facilitating the petition process when necessary;
- Registers and coordinates international travel insurance for trip participants;
- Serves as the University’s travel management system administrator;
- Tracks various contracts through review, edit, and execution stages;
- Ensures travelers meet the requirements set forth for each trip;
- Obtains information on various incidents, claims, and accidents, maintaining complete files on each;
- Regularly corresponds with insurance carriers, plan and claims administrators, and claimants;
- Gathers security information for travel petitions;
- Serves as backup emergency contact for trip crisis response;
- Processes incoming and outgoing certificates of insurance (COIs);
- Assists with the gathering of information for various insurance applications;
- Maintains various schedules of insurance;
- Assists with various compliance efforts, including annual music licensing filings; and,
- Assists with maintenance of the Risk Management and Legal Affairs Portal page.
- Conducts legal research and prepares legal memos relevant to the office;
- Administers the University Policy Warehouse and coordinates the publication and review of all university policies;
- Administers the University Contract Management and Contract Signature systems and coordinates the workflow, review, signature, and storage of all university contracts; and,
- Administers the University Compliance Calendar including sending notifications to responsible parties.
According to Indiana Wesleyan University’s employment policy, all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement.Education and Experience
- The minimum of an Associate’s degree or equivalent is required, with a Bachelor’s degree preferred; Experience working in higher education, risk management, property and casualty insurance, and/or the legal profession is highly preferred; Five years minimum experience in a professional office environment is required; A high level of proficiency utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required; Exceptional grammatical skills with proper verb tense usage required; and, Ability to legally work in the United States and successfully pass a comprehensive criminal background check.
- Must possess a high degree of personal integrity and be trusted to handle sensitive and protected information; Must be polite, confident, and possess excellent customer service skills, including listening and questioning skills; Must possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills, organizational and time management skills, initiative, computer proficiency, filing, writing, and editing; Must possess a strong attention to detail including strong numerical competence; Ability to act independently, organize workload, and the ability to work under time pressures and deadlines; Strong analytical skills and ability to think and operate strategically; and, Must establish rapport with other co-workers and constituents throughout the university.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. In addition, nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Indiana Wesleyan University is committed to equal opportunity in employment and maintaining a work environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Accordingly, the University affords equal opportunity to all employees and prospective employees without regard to race, sex, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
These have access to all the rights, privileges, and programs generally made available to employees at the University. It does not discriminate in the administration of its policies, programs, nor during any phase of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, treatment during employment, rates of pay or other compensation, and termination of employment.
As an educational institution operating under The Wesleyan Church, Indiana Wesleyan University reserves and exercises its privileges under applicable law to prefer employees on the basis of religion and who are best suited to its religious purpose.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer