Associate Provost for Health Sciences
Associate Provost for Health Sciences
Radford University invites applications and nominations for its new position of Associate Provost for Health Sciences. The position was established to advance Radford University and its health sciences programming and operations following the nearly-completed merger with Jefferson College of Health Sciences.
About the University
Radford University is a comprehensive public university of approximately 9,400 students that has received national recognition for many of its undergraduate and graduate academic programs, as well as its sustainability initiatives. Radford University serves the Commonwealth of Virginia and the nation through a wide range of academic, cultural, human service and research programs. Well known for its strong faculty/student bonds, innovative use of technology in the learning environment and vibrant student life on a beautiful 204-acre American classical campus, Radford University offers students many opportunities to get involved and succeed in and out of the classroom. The University offers 70 degree programs in 41 disciplines and four certificates at the undergraduate level; 22 master's programs in 17 disciplines and four doctoral programs at the graduate level; and 12 post-baccalaureate certificates and one post-master's certificate. A Division I member of the NCAA and Big South Conference, Radford University competes in 16 men’s and women’s varsity intercollegiate athletics. With over 300 clubs and organizations, Radford University offers many opportunities for student engagement, leadership development and community service.
About the Merger
Officials from Carilion Clinic, Jefferson College of Health Sciences and Radford University announced in January 2018 the intention to merge Jefferson College of Health Sciences into the Radford University family of colleges and departments. Carilion Clinic currently owns and operates Jefferson College of Health Sciences. The merger planning process was expected to take 18 to 24 months. Carilion Clinic, Jefferson College of Health Sciences and Radford University officials have worked closely during this time to develop processes and procedures to facilitate the integration and request approvals from the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as regional and program accreditors. The merger is expected to be finalized in early July 2019 pending approval by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Radford University officials intend to welcome Jefferson College of Health Sciences primarily into its Waldron College of Health and Human Services. Jefferson College of Health Sciences brings 35 years of history as an accredited institution and has grown from 200 students to about 1,150 students in that time. Jefferson College of Health Sciences is one of the top producers of nursing and allied health professionals in the region and is in the top 10 in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
About the Position
The Associate Provost for Health Sciences will play a significant role in the academic enterprise at Radford University, primarily in the Waldron College of Health and Human Services. The Associate Provost will divide time between the Roanoke and Radford campuses of Radford University.
Radford University seeks a collaborative, experienced and visionary leader who has:
- Demonstrated success at a health sciences-focused institution;
- Strong knowledge and past experience of working with accrediting bodies at both the regional and programmatic levels;
- The working knowledge to grow existing programs and establish new programs in the health sciences arena;
- A proven history of establishing and implementing a strategic vision for health sciences and identifying and addressing pipeline growth and recruiting opportunities for students in order to meet critical and emerging workforce needs, specifically in the New River Valley, the Roanoke Valley, the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond;
- The operational understanding to advance current initiatives and foster enhanced collaboration between Radford University, other educational entities and partner organizations;
- The ability to imagine new possibilities for Radford University by developing and articulating a vision for health sciences and prioritizing short- and long-range objectives across a broad spectrum of areas, including programs, outreach and services;
- The ability to work productively and cooperatively with students, faculty, staff, administrators, partner organizations and community leaders to advance the University’s mission and service to the Commonwealth in a student-centered environment;
- A collaborative approach to engaging and enhancing strong relationships with likeminded organizations, such as Carilion Clinic and Virginia Tech Carilion, including the School of Medicine and the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute, as well as other partners who share these values;
- A proven history of advancing and engaging in interprofessional education opportunities;
- Demonstrated experience promoting diversity and inclusion, including the capability to assess needs, develop initiatives and apply best practices;
- Demonstrated capability to support research and foster interdisciplinary collaboration;
- Proven experience in developing enhanced partnerships and communication strategies;
- Demonstrable experience applying sound judgment and political acumen; and
- Demonstrable skill in written and oral communications about complex topics with proven experience interacting effectively with members of diverse constituencies.
APPLICATION AND NOMINATION PROCESS
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (letter of interest, resume/CV and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to August 1, 2019.
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Phone: 770-804-1996 ext: 111 Fax: 770-804-1917
Radford University does not discriminate in the administration of its educational programs, activities, admission, or employment practices