10018178 Electronic Resources Librarian
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documents School/Department: Library Primary Location: Macon Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
DESCRIPTION: This position serves as a Electronic Resources Librarian providing centralized support for the acquisition, evaluation, and management of library electronic resources: including databases, e-journals, and e-books, for the five campuses of Middle Georgia State University. This position reports to the Director of Library Services.
- Manages the Library’s electronic resources including e-books, databases, e-journal subscriptions and Springshare suite.
- Serves as liaison to vendors regarding e-resource trials, acquisitions, licensing and technical issues.
- Works with the University Office of Technology Resources to maintain OpenAthens and/or EZproxy; works with The University System of Georgia GALILEO staff to ensure access to all electronic content through Alma, GIL and GALILEO interfaces
- Analyzes and collects usage data; generates usage reports needed for library assessment.
- Works collaboratively with others to create, assess, revise, and maintain Library web page content, navigation, and access to resources
- Works with the library and OTR staff to forecast, plan, implement, maintain and evaluate electronic services and emerging library technologies. Advocates for emerging technologies and works with library staff on technology integration. Coordinates the installation, training and maintenance of technology products and services.
- Provides in person and virtual library reference services for faculty, staff, students and the general public; assists in researching print and electronic sources; assists in acquiring information from external sources.
- Performs circulation desk duties; checks materials in and out; collects library fines and other fees; adds and edits student, faculty, staff and public user information in library records
- Provides library instruction both in person and virtually to promote information literacy in all university disciplines; prepares and delivers presentations in physical and online classroom settings; demonstrates the use of library sources and techniques.
- Serves, as assigned, as a discipline specific liaison librarian.
- Assists with collection development.
- Integrates into the Macon Campus community by planning and/or participating in campus events and activities
- Collaborates collegially with other librarians, faculty, and staff throughout the University.
- Represents the library on assigned committees and at University and community events.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of current trends in library services
- Knowledge of library electronic information resources
- Knowledge of the issues in the selection, management, and assessment of electronic collections
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies, as they apply to libraries
- Knowledge of library operations and procedures
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures
- Knowledge of collection development principles
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
- Skill in managing multiple projects and priorities
- Skill in decision making and problem solving
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Skill in providing quality customer service
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Director of Library Services assigns work related to library goals, objectives and practices & procedures. The supervisor reviews work through various means, including but not limited to communications, conferences, reports, and observations of library activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include US copyright law, Online Computer Library Center cataloging standards, American Library Association and Association of College and Research Libraries standards, and university and library policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied librarian duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide library services to patrons. Success in this position results in the provision of quality library services to college students, faculty and staff.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, faculty, staff, students, community patrons, representatives of other libraries, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None
• Completion of a Master of Library Science (MLS, MIS, or MLIS) degree from an ALA accredited university.
• Experience sufficient: to plan for the future and/or growth of library technologies and electronic resources; to thoroughly understand the scope and impact that technologies and electronic resources have on our systems and how they impact our staff and users; to assign, manage, and prioritize work; to be able to independently answer questions and resolve problems - usually associated with one to three years of experience or service in a library.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word Adobe.pdf attachment to [email protected] with the subject line "Librarian- Macon-5-22-19". Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest which includes salary requirements; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D