Instructional Support Assistant - Service Desk Technician
Department:: Office of Information Technology Services
Locations:: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posted:: May 22, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 84,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Information Technology Services seeks a full-time IT Service Desk Technician (State Title: Instructional Support Assistant) at our Saratoga Springs, NY location.
The Service Desk Technician is the primary support contact representative for Information Technology Services (ITS), students, staff and faculty. This position is dedicated to providing an excellent customer support experience through voice, chat and online IT service channels. The selected incumbent will be solutions driven and be able to see the broader picture without a loss of customer service. The Service Desk Technician works closely with the team and leadership to identify opportunities for improvement in levels of support, systems and processes. This position also develops and supports documentation for Tier 0 and Tier 1 self-help materials and other related resources (Discussion boards, chat, FAQs, etc.) as part of an advanced online ticketing (service) system.
- Professionally, respectfully and effectively represents other Informational Technology Services staff members, teams and their services to the client community
- Provides support for all ITS college enterprise products and services. Support includes answering questions, troubleshooting problems, teaching or instructing customers regarding software or hardware functionality, and communicating policy
- Receives, manages and helps to resolve online, chat and phone initiated technical issues and inquiries
- Escalates incidents to the appropriate technician when unable to resolve issues at Tier 1 level
- Provides additional support to ITS technicians in the form of research and information discovery
- Champions customers' concerns and works as an advocate for them when interacting with key ITS team members
- Participates and is responsible for other tasks/projects as assigned by leadership
Preferred Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
- Strong troubleshooting skills (system-level)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to empathize with concerned customers
- Ability to multitask and maintain a calm demeanor in high-stress situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail and professional bearing
- Attention to detail in communications and troubleshooting processes
- Familiarity with basic web, and digital literacy concepts
- Familiarity with ServiceNow IT Service Management System or other IT ticketing systems.
- Ability to quickly distinguish between a systematic/machine issue and a user issue
- Experience using remote support tools (i.e. Bomgar, VNC, RDP, etc.)
- Familiarity with Moodlerooms or other Learning Management Systems
- Experience with web browsers, e-mail clients, web forms, basic word processing or other office suite (productivity) software
- Working knowledge of Windows and Mac Operating Systems, mobile devices and social networking applications
- Familiarity with ITIL and ITSM frameworks for service management
- Minimum 1 year relevant technical support experience
- Associate's degree or higher in computer sciences, information management, computer technology or related discipline
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a multi person service desk team
- Experience working in customer service
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Familiarity with advanced ticketing systems
- Hours: Sunday - Thursday, 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- The first year of this position is on a temporary basis
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Rank/Salary: $42,000+, depending on qualifications.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.