Department:: Office of Strategic Partnerships
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: May 21, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Under the direction of the Vice President for Strategic Partnerships, this position is responsible for the leadership of facilities operations. Provide management, direction and oversight for these campus functions. Manage and plan for the effective care and use of ~1 million square feet of interior space and 135 acres of grounds. Develop and execute long term plans for the facilities department. Assist with the on-going development and administration of the college's master plans. Assist in setting strategic direction for the campus. Ensure services provided are of high quality, effective, and comply with applicable codes and standards.
- Lead staff and provide recognition to recruit and retain excellent and diverse managers and employees. Develop managers, who can independently conceptualize, negotiate and complete increasingly complex and important transactions
- Create innovative and entrepreneurial methods to ensure sustainable expense and revenue management. Develop annual operating budgets and a deferred maintenance budget for campus facilities
- Establish meaningful operational performance measures for each department. Incorporate metrics and sustainability goals into each of the programs. Create and implement the necessary incentives for operational improvement
- Oversee tenant improvements and deferred maintenance projects
- Analyze and review financial data to improve efficiency and reduce costs
- Manage and negotiate contracts
- Assist with the development of the campus master plans and participate in the campus strategic planning
- Assist with the sustainability initiatives to improve the 'greening' of the campus
- Provide technical expertise, information, and assistance
- Advise the Vice President for Strategic Partnerships of unusual trends or problems and recommend corrective action
- Work with campus stakeholders to deliver high quality and timely response and service
- Take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
- Take appropriate steps to promote and sustain the ability of staff members to deliver quality customer service in all aspects of job performance
- Take appropriate steps to promote safe work practices within each area of responsibility, enforce safety rules, and assure employee compliance with all safety rules and guidelines
- Perform related duties as needed
- Codes, regulations, and laws pertaining to construction, resource/energy management and conservation
- Operational safety disaster preparedness procedures, fire prevention and emergency response planning
- Relevant OSHA and EPA regulations
- Codes and standards for ADA
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College, and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan
- Personnel, employee benefits and payroll principles, practices and procedures
- Financial analysis for budget preparation and control
- Perform advanced analysis using the Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Perform basic AutoCAD is a plus
- Deliver quality customer service and promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance
- Apply appropriate methods and strategies to promote and sustain the ability of staff members to deliver quality customer service in all aspects of job performance
- Take appropriate steps to promote and enforce safe work practices within each area of responsibility
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in architectural, civil or electrical engineering, construction technology or related field and at least ten years supervisory experience in construction, maintenance, or repair of large buildings/budget preparation and control
- Background in business administration or public administration is a plus
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $120,000.00K to $130,000.00 per year, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter
- Salary Requirements and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.