Associate Dean for Student Affairs - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (112853)
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
In partnership, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illinois) and the Carle Health System (Carle) have created the nation’s first engineering-based college of medicine. The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is seeking an exceptional leader to serve as the Associate Dean for Student Affairs for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. As a member of the Dean’s senior leadership team, the Associate Dean for Student Affairs will provide leadership for policies and procedures related to student recruitment, admissions, financial aid, registration and orientation of students, records, advising, scheduling, and student welfare within an innovative, engineering-based medical education curriculum. The Associate Dean will report directly to the Dean of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. This is a rare opportunity to join an enthusiastically engaged, multi-disciplinary group of academic scholars, health care professionals, and specialists in medical education at the intersection of engineering, biological, and clinical sciences.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The Carle Illinois College of Medicine invites applications for a full-time or part-time Associate Dean for Student Affairs. This is a 12-month, non-tenured position. As part-time the individual in this administrative role will provide service on a part-time basis, anticipated to be approximately 80% effort, with possible concurrent employment with the Carle Health System (or other clinical affiliate), or, a concurrent appointment at UIUC resulting in full-time (100%) employment. As full-time, the individual would be employed 100% in the administrative role with the possibility of clinical release time up to 20%. The individual selected to serve as Associate Dean for Student Affairs may also qualify and be considered for a faculty appointment within the college. Opportunities may also exist for concurrent appointment in another University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign college and/or the Carle Health System. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications; the start date will be as soon as possible after the close of the search.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborate with members of the college’s senior leadership team to recommend, establish, implement and maintain policies and procedures to support an innovatively designed and highly competitive engineering based-school of medicine. Ensure policies and procedures support the mission and objectives of the program and are in alignment with Liaison Committee for Medical Education (LCME) accreditation standards.
- Serve as a contact and advocate for students in the College. Foster a safe, healthy, and supportive learning environment for students, including participation in the planning and monitoring of student health services, student counseling and mental health services, and trainings.
- Collaborate with the college’s standing committees and the Executive Associate Dean on issues related to strategic planning and goals.
- Oversee recruitment, admissions, financial aid, registration and student records, faculty advising, and quality of student life.
- Maintain the professional technical standards required as part of the admissions and student progression policies and procedures.
- Monitor the academic progress of students in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and provide academic and personal counseling with referral to student counseling services as necessary.
- Oversee medical student services, including strategic, financial and personnel planning.
- Oversee support to faculty in effectively teaching students with an acknowledged disability, in collaboration with campus Disability Resources and Educational Services.
- Provide leadership and oversight of Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) letters, rubrics and instruct students on the process.
- Provide oversight of a careers in medicine program to guide students’ clerkship planning for residency placement
- Participate in and help coordinate the planning and execution of recurring academic events including: student orientation, white coat ceremony, commencement, residency fair, community service projects, and other social events.
- Oversee compliance with relevant LCME standards and participate in ongoing accreditation activities.
- Serve as the administrative contact for student groups and organizations.
- Collaborate with the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration related to preparation of the budget for the Student Affairs area; manage the Student Affairs budget.
- Cultivate positive relationships with community health partners and support unique college partnerships with industry or other business partners and foundations.
- Foster a culture of diversity and inclusion within the Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively and collegially with others in a manner consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect; support and engage in equal employment opportunity principles, rules, and regulations.
- Champion positive inter-professional relationships bridging the college’s private/public organization and missions.
- Perform other related duties or projects as assigned to further the mission of the college.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- M.D., D.O., Ph.D., Ed.D, or other relevant graduate degree.
Required Experience, Skills, Abilities:
- Record of experiences demonstrating skills and abilities to communicate successfully with stakeholders including students, faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, benefactors, members of the professional community, and business partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty and administrators.
- Record of highly ethical conduct, a sense of respect for confidentiality, a high level of professionalism, collegiality and a strong record of attention to detail.
- Experiences demonstrating leadership, strategic planning and operational effectiveness resulting in exceptional outcomes.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Abilities:
- The well-credentialed candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of senior-level administrative experience in higher education or health care, preferable in a leadership role. Clinical experience as a practitioner is strongly preferred.
- Experience with student affairs, admissions, financial aid, or some combination thereof.
- Strong familiarity with the policies and procedures associated with the area of student affairs in an academic institution, preferably in a medical school setting.
- Evidence of a successful track record as a leader who inspires and encourages students, and is responsive to students’ needs and concerns.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity.
- Record that includes experience developing innovative programs for students in areas such as academic and/or personal wellness, career pathway counseling, and the match process
- Record of excellent performance as a skilled manager with the ability to meet budgets, develop people, and work collaboratively.
- Evidence of openness to innovative approaches to achieve goals.
- Must be willing to learn all aspects of the college’s operational and strategic objectives.
Procedure for candidacy:
For more information on the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, please visit https://medicine.illinois.edu/. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and review of applications will begin immediately. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by June 18, 2019. Interested candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu/ submit an application, CV/resume, and a letter of interest. Also required is a list of names and contact information of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, please contact Carle Illinois College of Medicine Human Resources at: [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.College Name or Administrative Unit:Carle Illinois College of Medicine Category:2-Administrative Title:Associate Dean for Student Affairs - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (112853) Open Date:05/21/2019 Organization Name:Carle IL COM Administration