Director of LIbrary Services and Lifelong Learning
The Director of Library Services and Lifelong Learning is responsible for supervising employees in library services and performing professional library duties. This position is governed by state and federal laws and College policy. This role supports the College’s mission of providing and ensuring quality educational programs for ASUN’s various constituencies.
This position is an administrative appointment and will be housed on the Newport campus but will work on all ASUN campus locations as needed. This position will provide direct supervision to the Library Technician and any part-time or work-study employees working in the library facilities on any of the ASUN campuses.
· Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited school; plus one year of experience in professional library services work OR Bachelor’s degree in library science or a related field from a school accredited by the ALA; plus three years of experience in professional library services work.
· OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Serves as the Director of Library Services and Lifelong Learning for Arkansas State University-Newport.
· Promotes, develops, and assesses quality programs that align with local education program and community needs.
· Cultivates and maintains strong industry and community partnerships to ensure local support of the College’s education and Lifelong Learning programs.
· Represents Library Services on the Academic Institutional Council and serves as a conduit for information to and from the other Academic Divisions, faculty, and staff.
· Exercises effective administrative and management skills through collegial communication with other ASUN departments.
· Provides effective management of fiscal policies and procedures within Library Services, Tutoring, Academic Support Services, and Lifelong Learning.
· Actively participates in partnerships geared toward resource acquisition, support, and funding to sustain program infrastructure, growth, and sustainability.
· Models effective decision making skills through use of the principles of shared leadership through open communication.
· Preparing and recommending for approval the budget for Library Services and Lifelong Learning.
· Oversees Library facilities and coordinates appropriate safety guidelines, training, and equipment.
· Coordinates special events related to Library Services, Tutoring, Academic Support Services, and Lifelong Learning.
· Serves on college-wide committees, special project teams, state and local committees, and community service and civic committees as needed, and acts as a professional and positive representative of the College.
· Maintaining the expectations set forth by the American Library Association
· Development and maintenance of records and reports needed for programmatic offerings, archival, and accreditation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of library science.
· Knowledge of catalogs, records, on-line databases and classification systems used in libraries.
· Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures.
· Ability to prioritize tasks, set goals, and establish methods.
· Ability to initiate and conduct research.
· Ability to direct and oversee the work of others.
· Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with others.
· Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
· Ability to organize and conduct workshops.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The formal educational equivalent of a Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited school; plus one year of experience in professional library services work, OR the formal education equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in library science OR a related field from a school accredited by the ALA; plus three years of experience in professional library services work..
Refer to the list of educational and experience requirements above.