English Language Institute Instructor
Position Title:English Language Institute Instructor Job Category:Staff Department:School of Transitional Studies - 6510220 Division:Academic Affairs Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume Position Statement:Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is one of 28 institutions within the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Serving nearly 13,000 students, GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 920,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology. Description:
The English Language Institute at Georgia Gwinnett College is seeking qualified candidates for the English Language Institute (ELI) Instructor (full-time staff) position. This position will report to the ELI Coordinator, and will be responsible for preparation and delivery of lesson plans and routine ELI classroom instruction. The ELI instructor will work with a diverse group of people, communicate effectively, work under minimal supervision and under deadline pressures. The candidate must be a team player who is knowledgeable about English as a Second Language (ESL) teaching approaches and must be flexible to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Provides instruction for ELI courses (up to 20 hours per week), with associated grading and planning
- Develops ELI curriculum in designated areas
- Serves as a resource for other ELI instructors, assisting with questions and needs
- Provides academic advisement for ELI students
- Advises the ELI Coordinator of student and classroom needs
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree in a relevant field required
- 1 year directly related prior ESL teaching experience
- Demonstrated excellent written and spoken English proficiency
- Demonstrated ability to work with linguistically and culturally diverse students and staff colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a positive attitude required
- Master’s degree or above in ESL preferred
- TESL/ESL teaching certification
- Teaching experience in higher education settings
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and credit check if applicable to the position, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodationsPosition Status:Full-Time FLSA:Non-exempt Special Instructions to Applicant:Position is open until filled.