Military and Veteran Account Specialist
Military and Veteran Account Specialist
The George Mason University Student Fiscal Services Office invites applicants for a Military and Veteran Account Analyst position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Student Fiscal Services is one of several units under the authority of Fiscal Services and reports to the University Controller. The Military and Veteran Account Analyst will report directly to the Assistant Director, Third Party Billing Office.
- Maintaining veteran student financial records and updating data according to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DOD) requirements;
- Preparing for agency annual audits (by federal and commonwealth departments);
- Serving as a financial Veterans Educational Benefits Certifying Official for Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), and providing timely and accurate certifications regarding veteran students’ eligibility for educational benefits; and
- Assisting the Student Accounts, Military Services and Registrar Offices in meeting program requirements and customer service needs—including high-level, customer-oriented services to students, faculty and administrative customers—while balancing competing needs of various constituencies as fairly as possible.
Major Position Functions:
- Coordinate the financial certification processes in accordance with VA and DOD rules and procedures, and inputs data into VA Once and DOD Tuition Assistance web portals.
- Provide customers with the procedures and guidance for establishing and reporting for VA Chapter 33, Chapter 31, Yellow Ribbon, Choice Act, and DOD Tuition Assistance for military, veterans and their dependents;
- Act as a school certification official to assure accuracy and compliance of student financial accounts;
- Fulfill federal and commonwealth system requirements for ensuring accurate and complete veteran and military reporting data and compliance requirements;
- Utilize Ellucian Banner, Webextender, VA Once, GoArmyEd and other software and systems used in certifying students and billing agencies; and
- Participate in training regarding veteran and military benefit certification and coordination developments.
- Provide high-quality and responsive customer and stakeholder services;
- Collaborate effectively with all involved offices and officials;
- Provide assigned services and office support, including efforts to improve office operations and enhance efficiencies.
- Serve as a functional back-up in other Third Party Billing areas.
- Customer service experience and strong social skills, especially in dealing with assertive clientele and sensitive matters;
- Knowledge and experience with MS-Excel and Microsoft Office software;
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Demonstrated ability to process work during periods of high demand;
- Associate’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Familiarity with program needs, including financial and regulatory compliance; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience with maintaining and using student financial data and reporting systems;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated mathematical reasoning, computer knowledge, and general office experience;
- Experience with and knowledge of military regulations, military educational programs, and benefits available to veterans and their dependents;
- Experience in preparing for agency annual oversight audits; and
- Experience working as a military and veteran educational benefit certifying official.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01881z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by June 7, 2019; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.