Evening & Weekend Librarian
Locations:: Roxbury Crossing, MA
Posted:: Dec 14, 2018
Closes:: Jun 30, 2019 - 11:59 PM EDT
Type:: Full Time
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community, including people of color, recent immigrants and non-traditional populations. The College's mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high-quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL, and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
General Statement of Duties: Coordinates and supervises all aspects of evening and Saturday library services. Supervises evening and Saturday circulation services. Provides reference, training and information literacy services. Initiates faculty outreach. Participates in collection development. Performs interlibrary loan functions and web page editing.
Examples of Duties:
- Organizes and supervises all aspects of evening and Saturday library activities and services.
- Provides reference support for students and faculty including one-on-one tutorials on the use of library resources.
- Provides group-training/instruction sessions for students in effective use of print, database and free Internet resources for student research papers.
- Prepares and presents library tours, orientation programs, and tailored bibliographic and information literacy instruction.
- Serves as a member of the Academic Liaison Program providing outreach, support and instruction / research assistance for assigned programs.
- Through the liaison program, initiates outreach to faculty on the ways that library services and resources can assist them in classroom and distance learning instruction.
- Participates in collection development responsibilities including assessment, weeding and selection of new print and online materials.
- Collects library use statistics. Participates in interpreting statistics and recommends plans of action.
- Performs inter-library loan functions using OCLC and online utilities.
- Oversees procedures associated with serials check-in and shelving.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
All candidates must have legal rights to work in the United States.
- ALA accredited Master's Degree in Library Science with coursework in reference, the use of non-print materials and automated/online/Internet based services and bibliographic/information literacy instruction.
- Prior professional level and progressively responsible library experience in the area of circulation/public service, bibliographic instruction, library automation including automated acquisitions and online database and Internet searching.
- Experience in a community college library preferred.
- Working knowledge of Library Science techniques.
- Working knowledge of basic computer business applications.
- Working knowledge of automated library systems. Knowledge of Polaris is a plus.
- Ability to relate library collections to college curricula and course programming.
- Demonstrated managerial ability, leadership skills and analytic skills are essential as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong customer service and outreach orientation.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to work with adult, multicultural and multilingual student population required.
- Knowledge of Dreamweaver, Camtasia and Captivate preferred.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Working experience in a community college setting.
- Knowledge of library assessment techniques and tools.
Please note that this is a Full Time position.
The person in this position will work approximately 37.5 hours per week, with more expected during weeks of RCC events.
Roxbury Community College offers competitive salaries and full benefits according to the guidelines and procedures of the MCCC Collective Bargaining Agreement
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.mass.edu/clery.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
To be considered for this position, applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2019