Library Assistant- Evenings/Saturdays
Locations:: Roxbury Crossing, MA
Posted:: May 14, 2019
Closes:: Jun 14, 2019 - 11:59 PM EDT
Type:: Full Time
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community including people of color, recent immigrants and nontraditional populations. The College mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Aids in the maintenance, preparation, distribution and lending of library books and other materials; charges, renews and discharges library materials; aids library users in locating and using materials; monitors the borrowing of materials; and verifies the proper location of library materials.
Supervision Received: Reports to Director of Library or designate.
Supervision Exercised: None.
- Charges, renews and discharges library materials being borrowed using automated systems to record the disposition of library materials.
- Aids library users by responding to inquiries and providing information concerning materials that best match users' interests and needs, library rules and procedures and library facilities. Suggests and explains the proper methods of locating and using materials to facilitate patrons' use of the library.
- Monitors the borrowing of library materials by determining the eligibility of borrowers and by contacting library users for the return of books and materials.
- Verifies proper location of books and other library materials by searching the library for misplaced items; by retrieving books as requested; and by placing books and other library materials in their proper location to facilitate use and accountability of library materials.
- Aids in the maintenance and preparation of library materials.
- Checks in and maintains the proper organization of serials.
- Schedule or log the use of audio-visual and/or other equipment.
- Performs related duties.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Skill in typing.
- Ability to gather information by examining records and documents.
- Ability to work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- 2 years experience working in a higher education environment
- A total of 37.5 hours per week
- Monday to Thursday: 1:00PM-9:00PM
- Saturday -8:00AM-4:00PM
- Salary will be determined according to the procedures and guidelines of the collective bargaining agreement (AFSCME) , for Grade 10, Step I.
Application Deadline: June 14, 2019
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.mass.edu/clery.
Appointment is subject to SORI (Sexual Offense Registry Information) background check, and a publicly accessible Massachusetts CORI (Criminal Offense Registry Information) background check.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Applicants MUST Submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Reference