Part-Time Community ESOL Instructors
Department:: Lifelong Learning
Locations:: Roxbury Crossing, MA
Posted:: Sep 21, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community, including people of color, recent immigrants and non-traditional populations. The College's mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high-quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL, and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
The ESOL instructor is a member of a team of professionals involved in the development and implementation of Roxbury Community College's Community ESOL program. We are seeking qualified, passionate individuals to join our team. Community ESOL classes are non-credit and range from Levels 1-6. These are part-time positions committing to one of the schedules below:
Morning Program: 9 am -12 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays OR Tuesdays and Thursdays
Evening Program: 6 - 9 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays OR Tuesdays and Thursdays
Mixed Program: 6 - 9 pm on Wednesdays and 9 am - 12 pm Saturdays
Resumes and cover letters will be accepted on a rolling basis to be kept on file. While there may or may not be available openings at any given time, we welcome your interest and will draw from the applicant pool when openings arise.
Date of Hire: Rolling basis, as needed
Hourly rate: $30/hour
Supervision Received: Reports to the Lifelong Learning Community Program Manager
- Implement curriculum and instruction aligned with MA state standards
- Create and support a student-centered learning environment
- Choose appropriate teaching materials to aid in the development of students' language skills
- Prepare and evaluate appropriate curriculum materials under the direction of the Program Manager
- Monitor and evaluate students' progress by maintaining ongoing formal and informal student assessments
- Use data from student assessments to tailor instruction; develop and implement individualized objectives for students based on needs
- Provide continuous feedback of students' challenges and achievements to students and Program Manager
- Coordinate with Program Manager with regards to additional services needed by students
- Implement strategies to increase retention rates
- Contribute to curriculum revisions, as needed
- Participate in ongoing professional and program development activities
- Assist with assessment testing during registration periods
- Assist in collecting required student information for reporting purposes
- Ability to utilize a variety of teaching methods to engage all students
- Able to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Keep accurate records in accordance with Lifelong Learning policies
- Commit to working assigned schedule reliably and punctually
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master's Degree or matriculation in a Master's degree program in ESL, Linguistics, or related field
- Knowledge of Curriculum Frameworks
- Experience teaching in an adult education program
- Understanding of Adult Learning Theories
- Proficient technology skills
- Experience working with diverse populations
- All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the U.S.
Appointment is subject to SORI (Sexual Offense Registry Information) background check, and a publicly accessible Massachusetts CORI (Criminal Offense Registry Information) and an extensive background check.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.edu/clery
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter to be considered.
Contact Lise Snow at [email protected] with any questions.