Lifelong Learning: Kids' Programming Instructors
Department:: Lifelong Learning
Locations:: Roxbury Crossing, MA
Posted:: Apr 25, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time
Position ID:: 97059
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community, including peoples of color, recent immigrants and non-traditional populations. The College's mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high-quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL, and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Roxbury Community College strives to engage and meet the interests of the community by providing opportunities to learn new skills, self-improve, and have fun in a supportive environment. Lifelong Learning offers non-credit courses, workshops, and seminars that cater to learns of all ages and backgrounds. Our Kids to College programs are designed specifically for the younger members of our community. We believe it's never too early for kids to be comfortable on a college campus and feel confident that they belong here. We strive to promote a welcoming environment where kids thrive and embark on the lifelong learning journey. Our interactive programs are designed for kids to stimulate creativity, learn new skills, gain confidence, and have fun!
Lifelong Learning at Roxbury Community College is seeking qualified, passionate applicants to join our team of non-credit course instructors specifically for kids' programming. Our instructors are a dynamic team of knowledgeable individuals in their field or area of expertise, and are excited to share their skills in creative, student-centered ways. Many of these programs are new offerings for us ? we are seeking instructors comfortable with collaborating to build their own curriculum.
Resumes and cover letters will be accepted on a rolling basis to be kept on file. While there may or may not be available instructor openings at any given time for a particular subject, we welcome your interest and will draw from the applicant pool when openings arise to teach a non-credit course in any of the areas below.
We're also open to new kids' course/workshop/program ideas please feel free to submit a brief course proposal along with your resume and cover letter.
Art Classes Drawing, Painting, Media, etc
Creative Writing or Journalism
LEGO Robotics, Coding, or other Programming
- Knowledgeable and skilled in course subject.
- Ability to pass knowledge onto others.
- Passionate about course content.
- Thrive in environments working with kids.
- Prepare a course or workshop syllabus to promote positive goal-oriented outcomes for students.
- Maintain updated course description, course outline, and syllabus as applicable.
- Keep accurate records in accordance with Lifelong Learning policies.
- Ability to employ a variety of teaching methods to engage all students.
- Distribute surveys to students on behalf of the college, as needed.
- Maintain open lines of communication with Lifelong Learning staff.
- Employ appropriate assessment techniques to measure student performance in achieving course goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with Lifelong Learning staff to continually improve course.
- Teaching availability on weekday evenings and/or Saturday mornings or afternoon, as contracted for. Some courses may require daytime availability.
- Commitment to working assigned schedule reliably and punctually.
Qualifications and Skills:
- All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Appropriate experience and skill, as well as the appropriate training, license, and/or credentials where applicable, in the course subject.
- Prior teaching experience in course subject is preferred.
- Prior experience working with kids is preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to lead and conduct classroom courses and/or workshops.
Date of Hire: Rolling basis, as needed
Hourly rate: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Appointment is subject to SORI (Sexual Offense Registry Information) background check, and a publicly accessible Massachusetts CORI (Criminal Offense Registry Information) background check.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.mass.edu/clery.
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter regarding the course(s) you're interested in teaching and believe you are a strong fit for.
Course Proposals: Are you interested in teaching something that isn't listed? Submit your resume and a brief cover letter outlining your proposed course.
Questions? Email [email protected]