Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 90-32087 Posted Job Title DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE School Name Development and Alumni Relations Org Penn Medicine Development Posted to the Web 05/21/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade 025 Employment Type Non-Exempt Hours 40.00 Position Type Full Time Position Schedule 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Months 12 Position Length Ongoing Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
The Development and Alumni Relations organization at the University of Pennsylvania is one of the premier development organizations in the world.
Penn’s Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team members benefit from an exceptional work environment where professional excellence and individual pride in achievement are grounded in a strong institutional commitment to integrity and collegiality as we strive for collective success. For talented and innovative individuals, a career at the University of Pennsylvania offers the chance to be part of an exceptionally exciting environment at the nation’s first university.
We seek talented individuals who will constitute a community that draws on the strength that comes with a substantive institutional commitment to diversity. Diversity is prized at Penn as a central component of our mission and helps create an educational and working environment that best supports the University’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship.
Penn’s commitment to achieving eminence through diversity is ultimately a commitment to creating a more vibrant university so that our employees will be both stimulated and empowered to shape a better world. http://darrecruiting.upenn.edu/why-choose-penn/about-dar
Penn Medicine is one of the world’s leading academic medical centers, dedicated to the related missions of medical education, biomedical research, and excellence in patient care. Penn Medicine consists of the Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania (founded in 1765 as the nation’s first medical school) and the University of Pennsylvania Health System, which together form a $6.7 billion enterprise.
The Perelman School of Medicine has been ranked among the top five medical schools in the United States for the past 20 years, according to U.S. News & World Report’s survey of research oriented medical schools. The School is consistently among the nation’s top recipients of funding from the National Institutes of Health, with $392 million awarded in the 2016 fiscal year.
The University of Pennsylvania Health System’s patient care facilities include: The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center which are recognized as one of the nation’s top Honor Roll hospitals by U.S. News & World Report Chester County Hospital; Lancaster General Health; Penn Wissahickon Hospice; and Pennsylvania Hospital, the nation’s first hospital, founded in 1751. Additional affiliated inpatient care facilities and services throughout the Philadelphia region include Good Shepherd Penn Partners, a partnership between Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network and Penn Medicine.
Penn Medicine is committed to improving lives and health through a variety of community-based programs and activities. In fiscal year 2016, Penn Medicine provided $393 million to benefit our community.
Serve as coordinator within the Office of Penn Medicine Development and Alumni Relations (PMDAR) in support of the Abramson Cancer Center (ACC) and University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) Development teams. Under limited supervision, will need to exercise judgment, initiative, discretion and analysis in carrying out project-related duties for supervisor(s) and development staff. Will handle complex and highly confidential materials. Must have the ability to meet deadlines in a goal-oriented environment and have excellent organizational skills.
1. Support ACC/UPHS frontline fundraising team broadly, coordinating communications activities related data and materials. Reports to and supports Senior Director of Development Communications and Community Engagement (DCCE) and DCCE colleagues on activities related to communication and frontline fundraising initiatives, particularly organization and dissemination of information.
2. Initiate and utilize an operational system to track communication activity across service line teams.
3. Coordinates regular meetings for the DCCE unit, including meeting agendas and materials as well as other meetings as needed.
4. Administrative support for Senior Director(s) of Communications and Community Engagement and DCCE colleagues including meeting scheduling, prospect/donor event and meeting preparations, and coordination of financial/budgetary needs of DCCE team including setting up purchase orders, vendor approval, processing of invoices, general travel needs, and reimbursement.
5. Coordinate posting of web content related to development communication activity, including third party events. This includes working with development colleagues to draft, review, and post details on donor lists and/or profiles, third-party events, coordinating the posting of all appropriate newsletter and e-communication content on web, and maintaining an ongoing list of events to be highlighted in various communication pieces, both electronic and print.
6. Interface, problem solve and execute projects with multiple colleagues across the University, including Gifts Administration, Finance, frontline fundraisers, stewardship and communications professionals in DAR, PMDAR and on ACC/UPHS teams.
7. Interface with and provide exceptional service to internal and external audiences including donors and faculty regarding gift activity and acknowledgement.
8. Manage the acknowledgement process for ACC/UPHS gifts, including customized correspondence to all $500 donors and above.
9. Provides information to faculty, staff, alumni; students, volunteers, trustees, and grateful patients concerning Penn Medicine Development.
10. Manages and maintains confidential files, records, and databases.
11. Uses conventional spreadsheets and database programs to maintain databases on prospects.
12. Completes basic development research using multiple PC-based systems, library references and files.
13. Composes and signs routine correspondence; prepares standardized reports.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma required, Bachelor Degree preferred. 5-7 years administrative and/or project management experience with progressively complex responsibilities preferred. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and technical skills. Knowledge of best practices in organizing data and preparing data analysis, utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, with particular strengths in excel and powerpoint, particularly graph development. Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of office procedures, practices and methods. Knowledge of computer databases used in development research is helpful. Ability to handle complex and highly confidential materials. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
The incumbent works on a daily basis with and through senior institutional officers, trustees and volunteers, administrators, faculty, grateful patients, and development/alumni affairs/ public affairs colleagues, and must have experience, judgment, and communications skills commensurate therewith.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job. Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/46566 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter