(Full-time) Instructional Paraprofessional (HEOP and Truck Driving, Grant Funded)
Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To assist certificated staff by performing a variety of responsible and technical paraprofessional support functions involved in the instruction and training of Shasta College students in assigned subject area(s); to ensure that assigned classrooms, labs, and other instructional areas are set up for daily instructional purposes; to prepare teaching aids, materials, and demonstrations in support of instructional objectives; and to provide responsible record keeping and clerical support functions as assigned. Employees in this classification receive limited supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. Employees in this classification may train, supervise, and oversee the work of student assistants or volunteers. This job class serves as a teaching paraprofessional in support of assigned certificated staff and requires a high degree of practical knowledge and skill in those subject areas to which assigned
Range 28 on the current Classified Salary Schedule, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year. Work assignment hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
SUPERVISOR Dean of Business, Agriculture, Industry, Technology, and Safety (BAITS) or assigned designee.
BENEFITS Holiday, vacation and sick time will be provided. Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an employee assistance program (EAP).
Employees have the option to contribute to:
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 403(b) and 457 Retirement Plans
- Section 125 Plan including Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Dependent Day Care Accounts
- Disability Income Insurance
- Cancer Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accident Only Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Assists certificated staff in the instruction and training of students in assigned subject areas.
- Assists students in small groups or one on one in classroom, lab, music rehearsal, theater production, and other instructional areas as assigned.
- Instructs, guides, and/or rehearses with students in the performance of classroom, lab, and other instructional activities in conjunction with lesson plans and objectives implemented by assigned instructors
- Develops and implements instructional strategies and methods designed to reinforce concepts and materials presented by certificated staff
- Demonstrates classroom methods, concepts, techniques, and equipment in support of instructional objectives
- Prepares various teaching aids and materials for instructional purposes
- Supervises students in classroom, lab, and other instructional activities; enforces classroom, lab, and or safety standards
- Administers and scores diagnostic tests to identify student academic strengths and weaknesses
- Operates various instructional and lab equipment, machines, and instruments and ensures that such equipment is maintained in proper operational condition.
- Sets up and prepares assigned classrooms, labs, and assigned instructional areas for daily operation ensuring that needed materials, supplies, and equipment are available
- Exercises responsibility for opening and closing of assigned classrooms, labs, and instructional areas and ensures the security of equipment, supplies, and materials
- May maintain and oversee the operations of an instructional resource library; locates and circulates materials and equipment to students, instructors, and the public and ensures their return or follow up on lost or unreturned materials.
- May clean, repair, overhaul, maintain, and service assigned classroom, lab, and instructional tools, instruments, and equipment related to assigned instructional areas.
- Maintains and monitors inventory levels of instructional/lab supplies, parts, tools, equipment, and other materials and maintains their proper storage, security, and distribution
- Establishes and maintains accurate records, files, and other information related to assigned instructional activities
- May assist with the tracking and monitoring of designated budget expenditures and may collect and account for monies received or instructional supplies/ materials
- coordinates and participates in campus activities, programs, performances, concerts, and exhibitions related to assigned areas of instructional support; may assist in theater production activities
- May train, monitor, supervise, and oversee the work of student assistants or volunteers
- Provides office support and clerical assistance as required to include typing, filing, record keeping, and report preparation
- Performs other related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required
- Principles, practice, and applications of subject matter or disciplines to which assigned
- Principles, methods, and procedures of instructing and providing learning opportunities to assigned students
- Test administration and scoring techniques related to subject matter areas of disciplines to which assigned
- Record keeping methods and techniques
- Learn district policies and procedures as applied to assigned instructional area
- Perform a variety of instructional assistance and support functions within specific subject matter areas of discipline
- Enforce established safety rules, regulations, and procedures
- Prepare, operate, maintain, and demonstrate classroom and laboratory equipment and materials related to assigned subject area(s)
- Prepare and maintain accurate and up to date records, files, and other documentation
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms
- Quickly identify problem areas and situations, isolate problem causes, and take appropriate action to resolve problems identified
- Understand the needs of assigned students and to effectively relate to these needs in a learning environment
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions independently
- Perform arithmetical calculations quickly and accurately
- Organize and prioritize own work so as to meet established time lines
- Train and oversee the work of student assistants as assigned
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
- Minimum of two years of experience in related area of assignment
- B.A. or A.A. Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in appropriate area depending on assignment.
- Heavy equipment hauling experience
- California Class A driver's liscense
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- Interviews are held on campus. No Skype or Phone Interviews.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement.The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.