Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dickinson College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for this position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.Posting Details Position Information Posting NumberS00851Position TitleHousekeeperWorking TitlePosition NumberVF9977Pay Grade/CategoryContributor APosition TypeNon-exempt Division and Department Information DivisionFinance and AdministrationDepartmentFacilities Management Posting Information Job Summary/Basic Function
This position provides housekeeping and moving services to the College. Responsible for a variety of duties related to the cleaning of designated academic, residence halls, and administrative building areas as assigned. Reports to the Assistant Housekeeping Supervisor or the Director of Housekeeping as instructed.Essential Functions:
- Collects trash and recycling from all offices, classrooms, residence halls and lavatories and moves to designated pickup area.
- Dusts surfaces in assigned buildings as needed.
- Cleans chalkboards and chalk rails in assigned buildings as needed.
- Cleans interior and exterior windows of building.
- Administers chemicals for cleaning and disinfecting of commodes, walls, floors, etc. as instructed and according to product labels.
- Operates commercial cleaning machinery for vacuuming, buffing, stripping and shampooing of surfaces.
- Dusts and wet mops all floors, halls, stairways and wax when needed.
- Removes snow and ice from building steps as needed.
- Spot clean and shampoo carpet when needed.
- Must be flexible to work on all 3 shifts.
- Must be trained in Blood Borne Pathogens procedures.
Must be flexible to work on all 3 shifts. All housekeepers are considered “emergency staff.” As such they may be required to report to work even when the college is closed or is operating under a delayed start. A housekeeper may be called in at any time of day to respond to weather and/or other types of emergencies as needed. It is expected that the employee has reliable transportation adequate to transport them to work even under adverse weather conditions.Preferred Qualifications
- Prior knowledge of cleaning methods, equipment and products.
- Ability to read, write and communicate inter personally using the English language.
- A valid PA Drivers License is required.
- A high school diploma, GED and/or prior custodial experience are preferred, but not required.
Valid Drivers License: Employees (operators) must have been in possession of a valid operator’s license for not less than three (3) years and the license must have been in good standing without interruption during that time period.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a frequent and repetitive basis.
- Frequent exposure to fumes, odors and dusts.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders and scaffolding up to six feet in height. "
- Frequent, repetitive and ·sustained lowering of body to floor level and moving about (including bending, standing walking and climbing stairs)
- Frequent exposure to chemicals for cleaning and disinfecting.
- Occasional exposure to outside environmental conditions.
- Possible overtime and irregular work schedules for emergencies, special projects, and events.
Tuesday – Saturday
1:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. We encourage applications from all qualified persons.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- CASE (Council for Advancement & Support of Education)
- Consortium for Faculty Diversity
- Employee Referral
- Jobs at Dickinson (http://jobs.dickinson.edu)
- Monster Jobs (monster.com)
- Patriot News
- Referral from Dickinson staff, faculty, friend or family member
- Sentinel Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Yahoo Jobs
- The Guide
- Other Website
- Inside Higher Ed
- Another College website
- Academic Careers
- If other, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have a Valid PA Drivers License? PLEASE NOTE: License must be valid for not less than three (3) years and the license must have been in good standing without interruption during that time period.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application