Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
Hollins University is seeking qualified, creative, and passionate candidates for the position of Executive Director (ED) of Marketing and Communications. Candidates must have a proven track record of creating and driving modern, integrated, and impactful marketing and communications strategies that deliver measurable and positive results.
The ED will be joining the university at an exciting and important time following the Board of Trustees’ approval of a new strategic plan in February. The ED will create and drive the university’s integrated marketing and communications strategy to build and strengthen awareness of Hollins as one of the premier and innovative liberal arts institutions for undergraduate women and co-ed graduate students.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, and leads a team of five professionals.
In addition to the above, to help advance the university’s strategic goals, the ED:
- Supervises the market research work currently underway, in collaboration with members of the Hollins community, to understand perceptions of the university’s key stakeholders (prospective students, current students, alumnae/i, overall population, etc.). From this research, the ED will develop positioning and messaging for the university, creating a compelling and unique narrative and value proposition for Hollins that will strengthen and reinforce its reputation with all of its important audiences.
- Understands how to use institutional data and market research, collaborating closely with the offices of Admission, Graduate Programs, Academic Affairs, Athletics, Alumnae Relations, and Institutional Advancement to promote and support the university’s overarching mission and strategic goals, and drive a marketing and communications strategy and execution plan that will help attain measurable results in each of the aforementioned areas.
- Devotes a significant part of their time in close partnership with Admission to meaningfully increase undergraduate and graduate enrollment. This includes creating fresh and impactful marketing and communications campaigns to drive prospective students to Hollins (reviewing the website, visiting campus, applying to the university, etc.), ensuring that the institution is connecting with the right target audience through purposeful effective messaging, testing and refining as frequently as necessary.
- Utilizes and deploys social media for strategic objectives, involving constituents, such as the student body, where appropriate, to maximize reach and frequency of messaging.
- Oversees the ongoing content development and delivery of university news, and provides a thoughtful approach to crisis communications, including the ability to monitor public issues, manage the university’s reputation, and serve as an effective spokesperson for the institution in challenging circumstances as needed.
- Develops a robust media relations and strategic visibility program that gains local, regional, and national coverage.
- Serves as the creative director and editor-in-chief of all of the university’s communications, including the signature alumnae magazine, which is a key pillar of Hollins’ brand of alumnae engagement.
- Works closely with the university senior leadership as a partner in thought leadership, writing speeches and articles, and creating compelling content that reinforces Hollins’s unique value proposition.
In addition to the preceding priorities for the Executive Director, the ideal candidate is someone who excels in organizing, developing, and managing a small staff, and who will oversee the budget for the department in ways that garner the best return on investment for marketing and communications expenditures.
Successful applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in a related field, a minimum of seven years of experience in marketing and communications with a record of successfully developing and implementing strategic marketing communications. Additionally, candidates must have demonstrated fluency and expertise in digital and social media marketing. The primary focus of this position is marketing, and experience in brand management and marketing strategy is required.
Applicants must have outstanding content development skills, with excellence in writing, editing, and collaborating with art professionals for the most effective content packaging. Strong public presentation skills; excellent organizational, project management, and multitasking skills; and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively are centric to successful candidates.
Candidates must also have abilities to accurately and clearly assess and communicate organizational priorities and opportunities and manage confidential and sensitive matters. They must be highly collaborative, and able to build strong, cooperative working relationships with a variety of constituents, including students, faculty, staff, and the public. While higher education experience is preferred, applicants with marketing expertise in other industries, particularly business and consumer marketing of complex, intangible products or services that require a major investment, can offer a valued dynamic and perspective to the university. Five or more years of supervisory management experience is also preferred.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter; resume; link(s) to an online portfolio, work samples, or a case study; salary requirement; and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Previous applicants need not apply.