Visiting Career Services Advisor, Humanities Professional Resource Center- College of Liberal A...
Visiting Career Services Advisor
Humanities Professional Resource Center
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Visiting Career Services Advisor provides career management services and assists with program development for the Humanities Professional Resource Center. The Humanities Professional Resource Center offers career advising and opportunities specifically focused on humanities students. This new grant-funded initiative helps students in humanities majors explore career paths, network, connect with potential employers, and get relevant professional experience.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide career advising to majors and minors in the humanities (the Departments of English, History, and Philosophy and those contained in the School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics), as well as students considering transferring into these programs.
- Collaborate with LAS and unit academic advisors to support and maintain students’ academic progress while promoting their career objectives.
- Serve as liaison with departmental student leadership groups and RSOs to provide career programming and events.
- Educate and provide direction to students regarding work opportunities and employment trends and provide a wide variety of career information and materials.
- Assist HPRC director in creating and conducting workshops and other events to teach job-seeking and career management skills.
Humanities Recruitment, Retention, and Outreach
- Create presentations to present to classes, student groups, and other interested organizations about the career paths of humanities majors. Work with LAS Admissions, campus admissions, and unit academic advisors to recruit and retain humanities majors and minors.
- Work with LAS Communications team to create content for HPRC website and social media to promote career paths for humanities majors and internship opportunities.
- Assist the Director in planning, promoting, and executing events related to careers for humanities majors.
- Represent the HPRC at events when Director is not available.
Program Management and Assessment
- Work with ATLAS, DMI, and the Career Center and other campus units to collect and monitor the data used to assess the success of the HPRC initiative
- Coordinate, manage, and promote internship opportunities in collaboration with ATLAS and the LAS Life and Career Design Lab
- Assist with creating and managing humanities alumni mentoring network(s) in collaboration with departments and LAS Advancement office
- Organize and manage special projects to further mission of the unit.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with career services, or student academic advising gained through post-baccalaureate educational experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in history, English, philosophy, religion, linguistics, a world language, or a related humanities field.
- Master’s degree.
- Two years of professional work experience in a career services or student academic advising.
- Experience working with diverse students, including international students.
- Experience with advising or career services in humanities fields.
- Demonstrated ability to work with culturally diverse groups, demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and independently.
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Event planning, data collection, and digital media skills.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time 12 month visiting academic professional position. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Position may become regular at a later date contingent on funding and positive performance reviews.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by June 3, 2019. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-6747. For further information on this specific position, please contact the search committee at [email protected]College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Visiting Career Services Advisor, Humanities Professional Resource Center- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (114202) Open Date:05/20/2019 Organization Name:LAS Administration