Executive Assistant to President of Capella University
Job location: Minneapolis, MN
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-05-06
This Executive Assistant role provides primary executive level administrative support to Capella University’s (CU) President and its Board of Directors. This highly visible role requires interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills of the highest professional caliber and serves as an ambassador for the Office of the President.
This trusted individual will work in partnership with the CU President and other leaders as assigned enabling them to focus on their overall objectives for CU and it’s parent company, Strategic Education Inc (SEI). The EA to the CU President will also coordinate CU Board of Director meetings in partnership with the Chief Academic Officer’s (CAO) project manager. This role will also partner effectively with other CU and SEI assistants, which may include providing back-up support. This full-time position is located onsite at Capella’s downtown Minneapolis headquarters and is a non-exempt/hourly position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Proactively maintain and monitor executives’ workflow.Keep the CU President and other assigned leaders apprised of matters relevant to the CU and SEI business objectives and matters. Anticipate administrative support needs.
- Ensures CU President’s schedule maximizes the efficient use of time. Prepares and provides daily briefing materials in advance. Aligns schedule with various project and initiative deadlines.
- Maintains a block schedule of deliverables requiring time from the President. Ensure schedules and workflows accommodate production. Assist with early draft and template development.
- Respond to inquiries in a timely and professional manner. Develop a system to coordinate the flow of incoming communications and outgoing communications by receiving, routing and/or responding to incoming communications and/or determine the appropriate department or individual to respond.
- Provide and prepare information for reports and presentations using Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word as assigned through research, data retrieval, compiling and/or tabulating data, and organizing and presenting the information in a professional and understandable format.Prepare, proofread, and edit written material for signature, approval, and/or distribution for completenes and accuracy.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of SEI and CU administration, employees, learners, and CU Board members by exercising discretion in communicating information and in handling administrative records, files, and similar confidential items.
- Administrative support for the CU Board includes coordinating CU Board members’ travel arrangements, board communications, CU Board meeting events, etc.
- Facilitate efficient and cost-effective travel for the CU President and CU Board of Director members by making travel arrangements within prescribed schedule and cost parameters in accordance with CU/SEI policies and procedures. Provide clear, comprehensive and proactive travel/meeting details to assigned leaders and CU Board of Director members.
- Coordinate CU Board meeting and CU leadership meetings in partnership with the Chief Academic Officer’s office.Ensure the success of events hosted by the CU President’s office by proactively scheduling events, preparing and delivering agendas, coordinating presentation materials, arranging audiovisual and associated support equipment in a timely and effective manner.
- Serve as a liaison for members of the Capella University Board of Directors by answering their questions regarding CU Board meetings, making travel, hotel and event reservations for them and communicating the details in a proactive, timely and professional manner.
- Prepare expense reports and/or processes invoices for approval by leader according to corporate and regulatory guidelines.
- Maintain and/or create electronic and/or paper filing systems, ensuring records are kept in an organized and readily accessible manner.
- Serve as a contributing member of Executive Assistant Team which includes providing back-up administrative support for other executives or leaders as needed. Collaborate to ensure there is adequate Executive Assistant coverage while Executive Assistant is away from their desk for an extended period of time.
- Proactively identify areas to gain efficiencies and improve processes and/or procedures and communicates ideas and training needs effectively to executive/assigned leaders and Executive Assistant team as appropriate
- Other special projects/work as assigned.
- Proactive Thinking skills – Anticipatory, change-oriented and self-initiated behavior. Acts in advance of a future situation with an appropriate sense of urgency, rather than just reacting. Takes control and makes things happen rather than waiting for something to happen or waiting to be told to do something.
- Excellent attention to detail. Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills and demonstrated ability to deliver a high quality product.
- Demonstrated advanced Microsoft office skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint in order to effectively draft and edit correspondence and produce high quality graphics/presentation materials.Ability to learn new technology/software.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines. Can work effectively in a multi-tasking office environment. High confidence level in addressing unplanned or short-notice issues requiring sound judgment and limited direction.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively, professionally and collaboratively with all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational skills are required with proven tools and processes.
- Possess a process, project management and/or event planning orientation.
- Must be able to deal effectively, appropriately and professionally with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Effective problem-solving skills and results-oriented. Strong personal drive; sets high standards and has a passion to achieve top results; holds self and others accountable
- Demonstrated ability to be open to feedback, self-awareness, and ability to adapt to change effectively and professionally.
Five or more years’ experience as a senior level executive assistant or equivalent administrative, project management, event planning, communication or client focused experience, preferably in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Must be able to travel 10% to 20% of time.
- Must be able to lift 0-20 lbs.
- Able to work in a high-rise corporate office setting with office lighting.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
- Travel via plane, car, and metro may be required to perform this job.
- Must be able to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant.
- Access information using a computer.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job.
- Other essential functions and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at [email protected]