Adjunct Faculty - School of Counseling & Human Services, Mental Health Counseling (Addictions E...
Job location: Offsite
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-04-17
Capella University is seeking applicants for adjunct faculty in the School of Counseling and Human Services' MS in Addiction Studies and Graduate Certificate in Addictive Behavior programs. The position will primarily teach courses with a specific emphasis on the treatment of substance use disorders, although there may occasionally be additional teaching opportunities in the clinical mental health counseling program or general counseling courses that span multiple programs.
- Primary responsibilities include teaching graduate addictions courses in the MS in Addiction Studies or graduate certificate in addictive behavior programs.
- Additional responsibilities may include teaching graduate clinical mental health counseling courses or graduate counseling courses across multiple counseling specializations (e.g., diversity, ethics, research, assessment, career development); supervising addictions or clinical mental health counseling fieldwork, which involves synchronous class meetings via video conference; and/or, teaching at face-to-face residencies.
- An earned doctoral degree in Counselor Education and Supervision, preferably from a CACREP-accredited program; or, employment as a full-time faculty member in a counselor education program for a minimum of one full academic year prior to July 1, 2013.
- Current active license or certification as a mental health counselor required.
- Current active license, certification, or credential as an addictions counselor preferred.
- Strong identification with the counseling profession with an interest in supervising learners in fieldwork and teaching and mentoring at the master’s and doctoral levels.
- Must be available for travel involved with teaching master’s residencies, doctoral residencies, commencement, or other activities several times per year for up to a week at a time.
- A minimum of two years experience practicing as a clinical mental health counselor specializing or focusing on the treatment of addictions / substance use disorders. Experience treating substance use disorders is required.
- Experience teaching in counselor education, preferably within a clinical mental health counseling or addictions program.
- Experience supervising counseling interns either as faculty or site supervisor.
- Evidence of successful teaching and supervision experience in the online environment.
- Evidence of supporting learner success and a demonstrated commitment to quality teaching, assessment, and mentoring outcomes.
- Experience presenting at professional conferences; experience with scholarly research and publications; and/or evidence of professional service such as through consultation, supervision, or leadership activities in a professional counseling association.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of academic discipline and educational standards
- Understanding of Capella University and school philosophy, policies, guidelines and practices
- Knowledge of adult learning theory and practices such as development of learning contracts, collaborative learning, and active learning strategies
- Exceptional ability to assess learning through feedback, coaching, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop/maintain curriculum and assessment in online environment
- Ability to teach/advise and assess at appropriate level
- Demonstrated ability to identify/determine alternatives to resolve complex problems
- Ability to consistently contribute to Capella’s community of spirit, trust, interaction, and learning
- Acts in ways that support an environment of continuous improvement and a positive learner experience
- Operates from a clear sense of well-developed personal values and standards demonstrating integrity, honesty, and authenticity in all actions
- Demonstrates complete understanding of learner – accommodating unique needs and expertise of each learner
- Provides support and opportunity for the learner to continually deepen his or her understanding of individual purpose and pursue it through educational experiences - Demonstrates a commitment to meeting the expectations and requirements of a diversity of learners
- Is attentive to at risk learners following established case management protocols and reaching out to appropriate school staff
Course Management Skills
- Excellent course management skills
- Use of technology in teaching and learning in an online environment
- Microsoft Office products and web fluency
Part-time and adjunct faculty will be assessed based upon their demonstration of personal drive to accomplish goals and consistently meet expectations. Performance criteria includes the following (depending upon the type of activities assigned). Evidence of high quality learner interactions as demonstrated through:
- Adhering to course room set up procedures and establishing rapport with learners
- Facilitating course discussions, ensuring active participation among learners by creating entries at least 4 days per week
- Responding to learner inquiries within 48 hours
- Assessing learner assignments, work submissions, and engagement in a timely manner consistent with university and program requirements
- Reporting at-risk learners to appropriate school staff and following case management protocols
- End of course evaluations - appropriately meets qualitative standards:
- - Quality of teaching
- - Quality of mentoring
- - Quality of residency involvement
- Contributions to the specialization/school or university
- Demonstrating active interest in one’s performance and is responsive to feedback
- Disciplinary expertise as relevant to Capella needs
- Ability to manage a breadth and depth of work activities and responsibilities:
- - Demonstrates a breadth of capability across a variety of work assignments and learning activities
- - Demonstrates flexibility in managing workload
- - Achieves quality learning outcomes
- - Makes case management recommendations as necessary
- Must be able to travel 0-10% of time.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
- Typical office setting.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
- Travel via plane, car, and metro may be required to perform this job.
- Must be able to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant
- Access information using a computer.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job.
- Other essential functions and marginal job functions are subject to modification
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at [email protected].
Capella University believes that a diverse learning community is vital to achieving our mission of extending access to higher education. We believe that attracting, engaging, and supporting diverse learners, faculty, and staff strengthens our university. Capella values human potential and is committed to being an inclusive and culturally competent institution. Capella strives to promote equity within and beyond our community through intentional actions and the transformative exchange of ideas.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at [email protected]