Assistant Director of Career Exploration
Posting DetailsPosting Details Position Title Assistant Director of Career Exploration External Link to Posting http://jobs.uncw.edu/postings/14393 Department Career Center - 40020 Vacancy Number E348 Position Number 1833 Location of Workplace Main UNCW Campus Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Assistant Director of Career Exploration works with individual student and alumni clients, helping them explore their work values, personality preferences, career interests, transferable skills and learning outcomes to help them integrate that knowledge into meaningful career and employment decisions. This position provides impactful counseling, resources, programs, services and events to help with the decision-making processes of deciding/exploratory students.
Provide impactful counseling, resources, programs, services and events to help with the decision-making processes of deciding/exploratory students.Minimum Requirements
• Masters’ degree in Counseling, Higher Education Administration, Education, College Student Personnel or related field. Must have received degree prior to start date.
• Three to five years of directly related work experience (can include graduate assistantship in a career center). Related experience includes positions in a collegiate career center or a closely related function.List the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the essential functions of the position
• Ability to provide leadership within a staff team, and in the development of programs, services, events, and related initiatives.
• Ability to effectively counsel college students in all academic areas, as well as for deciding or exploratory students.
• Understanding and application of career development theory, career interest typology and personal strengths.
• Excellent presentation, communication, and organizational skills. Extensive presentation experience with small and large groups of students, parents, faculty, staff, employers, and the general public.
• Demonstrated ability to utilize program assessment instruments and electronic career and employment systems.
• Ability to work independently and creatively develop programs, solve problems, resolve differences, and contribute effectively to the Career Center team.
• Demonstrated professional and personal commitment to diversity.Preferred formal education, professional skills and work experience
Demonstrated experience in collaborative efforts with faculty members, other academic and student affairs departments, employers, and other external groups to inform, support and promote relevant career services and programs. This would especially include collaborations with academic advising offices such as UNCW’s University College.Primary purpose of the division, department, and/or grant
The UNCW Career Center is a comprehensive career counseling and resource center dedicated to empowering students and alumni as active participants in their own career development. Through career exploration and experiential opportunities, students are motivated to expand their knowledge of themselves and the world of work in a dynamic global community.College/School Information University Information
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. Guided by our Strategic Plan, the university is committed to nurturing a campus culture that reflects its values of diversity and globalization, ethics and integrity, and excellence and innovation. A public institution with nearly 17,000 students, the university is focused on supporting and enhancing the student-centered learning experience that has been a hallmark since its founding in 1947. UNCW offers an array of programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and doctoral programs in marine biology, educational leadership, psychology and nursing practice. UNCW is one of the 17 institutions that make up the UNC System.EEO Statement
The University of North Carolina at Wilmington is committed to and will provide equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs.Applicant Instructions Months Per Year 12 Months Position Type Permanent Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited Positions Job Posting Date 05/20/2019 Priority Consideration Date 06/20/2019 Priority Consideration Information
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.Address application documents to Nadirah Pippen Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently hold a Masters Degree?
- * Do you have experience in a college career center?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience with the development of career centered programs, services, events or related initiatives.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington?
- UNCW LinkedIn Page
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Website
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Direct Contact from UNCW HR Representative / Recruiter
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Other Social Media Tools
- Chronicle of Higher Education