Instructional Assistant Professor
Request/Posting Number 0712062
Classification Title Instructional Assistant Professor
Working Title Instructional Assistant Professor- Music Education
Job Class # 700500
Type of Position Non-Tenure/Adjunct Faculty
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) Varies
Department School of Music - 05660000
Job Category Faculty - Non-Tenure (Adjunct)
General Summary Position: Instructional Assistant Professor of Music Education, part-time, nine-month, non-tenure-track. This position is represented by the Illinois State University Education Association and may have associated dues or fees.
Duties: The School of Music is looking for faculty to teach undergraduate music education courses in the areas of (a) elementary and secondary general music, (b) introduction to music education, and (c) foundations of music teaching and learning. In addition, the successful candidate may be assigned other duties based on individual strengths and the needs of the School of Music.
Salary: Salary based upon qualifications and experience.
Additional Information: Illinois State University is located in Normal/Bloomington, Illinois, twin cities with a combined population 150,000. The School of Music, one of three schools within the College of Fine Arts, has an enrollment of 375 music majors: 310 undergraduate and 65 graduate students. The School of Music has 43 full-time faculty and 50 graduate teaching assistants. Illinois State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Required Qualifications 1. Master's Degree in music education or a closely related field.
2. The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of (a) multiple pedagogical methods for elementary (e.g., Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze) and secondary general music, (b) P-12 music curriculum and assessment, and (c) the edTPA.
3. Applicants should have the ability to develop partnerships with the University Lab Schools and other P-12 schools in the area.
4. Candidates must be able to demonstrate oral proficiency in the English language as a requirement for this position, as mandated by state law.
5. If this position is security sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: 1. A doctorate in music education and successful teaching experience at the collegiate level.
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees 1. Master's Degree in music education or a closely related field.
Hiring Rate/Range Salary varies based on FTE
Work Hours Varies
Proposed Starting Date: 08/16/2019
Posting date 05-16-2019
Closing date Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants To assure full consideration, please complete a faculty employment application and attach a letter of application, which speaks to the candidate's qualifications for the position; a curriculum vitae; and a list of references (with permission to make contact) with addresses and telephone numbers. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action university encouraging diversity.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
Contact Information School of Music:
Departmental Homepage https://finearts.illinoisstate.edu/music/
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Reference List
Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
Letter of Application
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test Not Applicable
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
2. Ability to conduct or attend meetings in various locations across campus.