Office Support Specialist
Request/Posting Number 0712063
Classification Title Office Support Specialist
Working Title EMDH Administrative Support
Job Class # 003243
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Representation: AFSCME Local 3236
Department Dept of Event Mgmt, Dining & Hosp - 02650000
Job Category Staff
General Summary The Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality is one of 12 departments within the Division of Student Affairs. It provides the campus community and guests with high-quality, efficient, and innovative event services and dining options in a variety of settings dedicated to accentuating and enhancing the campus experience in a diverse community.
Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality (EMDH) is committed to providing an outstanding dining experience for students. This position plays an integral role in accomplishing this goal by providing critical support to Administrators of EMDH and performing clerical duties related to support for John Green Food Service Administration.
Office duties include greeting guests, answering questions and/or directing inquiries in person, over the phone, and via email, and doing a variety of office tasks (sorting department mailings, updating Excel records, copying materials, etc.). This position will work collaboratively to assist and transfer calls to various departments on campus such as University Housing Services, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts.
This position will supervise the John Green front desk students including the hiring, training, evaluating, scheduling, and disciplining of student employees.
Required Qualifications 1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the second level of this series.
3. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the categories below:
a. work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems
b. college or university coursework in any curriculum
- twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months
- twenty-four (24) semester hours = twelve (12) months
- thirty-six (36) semester hours = eighteen (18) months
- forty-eight (48) semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: 1. Working knowledge of office support and routine office practices and procedures
2. Ability to keyboard accurately at a rate of 40 net w.p.m.
3. Thorough knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, and formatting
4. Skill in oral and written communication
5. Ability to operate standard office equipment such as document production and reprographic equipment
6. Ability to utilize various software packages
7. Ability to train and review the work of others
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality
9. Possess work experience providing a high level of customer service via phone, email, and in person
10. Possess interpersonal, problem-solving, and reasoning skills that can be utilized in assisting guests and customers.
11. Possess strong attention to detail.
Hiring Rate/Range $14.25 - $15.03 per hour
Work Hours Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Proposed Starting Date: June 2019
Posting date 05-16-2019
Closing date 05-28-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. Do not leave gaps in employment. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please prepare in advance a resume, cover letter, and at least 3 professional references with phone numbers to attach to this application.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. You may print a copy of your application and bring it to the examination with you as a reference. Please closely monitor your email for correspondence regarding your application status.
Other documentation such as college transcripts (may be unofficial) and/or a DD214 (official military discharge) must also be brought to the Civil Service exam if applicable in order to receive the maximum eligible points.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Jill Smith
Departmental Homepage www.emdh.ilstu.edu
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 3243-Office Support Specialist
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to perform sedentary work involving sitting the majority of the time.
2. Ability to maintain a high level of concentration
3. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
4. Ability to use a computer in day-to-day work. (i.e. type on a keyboard and use a mouse).
5. Ability to conduct or attend meetings in various locations across campus.
6. Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.