Building Operating Engineer
Request/Posting Number 0712057
Classification Title Building Operating Engineer
Working Title Building Operating Engineer
Job Class # 001328
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Representation: Operating Engineers Local 399
Department Building Maintenance - 09040000
Job Category Staff
General Summary The purpose of this position is to provide effective service to equipment and facilities, in a self-directed manner, testing as assigned by supervision, supporting the mission and goals of Event Management, Dining and Hospitality (EMDH). Facilities Management Building Operating Engineers coordinate and/or perform most aspects of maintenance and service for EMDH equipment and facilities. They are the first to respond to emergency calls for equipment, electrical, plumbing, refrigeration, and heating/cooling issues. This position will be expected to keep up to date on new equipment technologies as they are introduced. The Building Operating Engineer evaluates the priority and status of any given maintenance issue and reassigns it to other trades when necessary. The Building Operating Engineer promotes safety in the work place, for all staff, through safe practices in equipment maintenance and installations. This position provides daily support, for the operational needs of the department.
Required Qualifications 1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Three (3) years of full-time paid employment in the maintenance of a variety of building mechanical equipment and/or as a mechanic of refrigeration, ventilation, and/or food-service equipment.
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
4. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES NEEDED TO UNDERTAKE JOB
1. Mechanical aptitude
2. Ability and willingness to follow instructions
3. Ability to perform duties in public places with a minimum of disturbance
4. Ability to work effectively with students, staff, and public
Desired Qualifications: 1. Ability to perform repairs to electrical and mechanical equipment at a high level of competency, and possess a good working knowledge of electricity, electronics, steam, and/or natural gas.
2. Aptitude for construction and a working knowledge of refrigeration.
3. Illinois Sanitation License.
4. Ability to use independent judgment to plan sequence of events, organize, determine priorities, and use initiative to coordinate most maintenance activities.
5. Good communication skills for effective interaction with staff, students and other customers, as well as coworkers and vendors.
6. Valid state-issued driver's license and the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Hiring Rate/Range $23.20 per hour
Work Hours Varied: Assigned full-time shift will include daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
Proposed Starting Date: July 2019
Posting date 05-16-2019
Closing date 06-04-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants For full consideration, the application and all supplemental information must be submitted on-line. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail, or mail will not be accepted.
Incomplete applications WILL NOT be considered. Please complete the entire employment application including the Education and Work History background. Please do not put "see resume" in the duties and responsibilities section of the work history. This will be considered an incomplete application and incomplete applications will not be considered. Only the employment application will be reviewed to determine if an applicant meets minimum qualifications. Please be complete in the duties and responsibilities section for each position listed.
Please prepare a reference list and resume including contact information (phone/email) to attach to this application.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, this offer is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Trish Trainor
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 1328-Building Operating Engineer
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Must have manual dexterity and motor skills needed to perform mechanical repairs and work on a variety of machinery, appliances, hardware, and structures. Heavy physical exertion and activity will be required at times. Ability to lift up to 60 pounds.