Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Instructional Designer Department NOVA Online Posting Number 03216P Location Fairfax, VA: 22030 Full or Part Time Full Time Position End Date (if temporary) Required Travel Relocation Covered Salary Range Commensurate with experience and rank Position Summary Information Basic Function
Provide instructional design expertise for large distance learning program. Serve as part of instructional design team, focusing on assisting faculty in the design of online courses and instructional practices, creation of online learning resources, and piloting/implementing new technologies for teaching and learning. Work with faculty to design and develop quality online courses based on sound adult learning pedagogy and instructional design practice. Support faculty in ongoing course development, evaluation, and revision processes. Provide professional development opportunities for faculty such as course design seminars, software demonstrations, and best practice workshops. Maintain active engagement with the instructional design and online learning communities through publication, presentations, and ongoing professional development activities.Duties and Responsibilities
Under direction of the Associate Director of Instructional Design and Development, coordinate and manage course development and course revision projects from inception to completion. Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Managing the course development process for new courses and courses that need to be revised/redesigned.
• Providing instructional design consultation to individual or groups of faculty on optimal design of online courses and effective use of multimedia for online instruction.
• Providing leadership to faculty to design and develop high-quality, contextually-rich, engaging, and objective-driven online courses.
• Reviewing existing courses for quality, currency, and consistency and working with faculty to enhance courses.
• Mentoring faculty as they revise/maintain existing courses.
• Carefully tracking status of projects and maintaining appropriate files and records, including time tracking, project comments, and task completion.
• Helping to refine and improve the instructional design/development processes and procedures.
• Designing and producing learning materials in a variety of formats including print, graphics, audio, video, web and multimedia to support teaching, learning, and College information needs.
• Researching and making recommendations on educational best practices, instructional resources, and instructional technologies to support teaching and learning.
• Facilitating courses, workshops, and presentations to faculty and staff.
• Participating in professional development to stay abreast of current research and best practices.
• Participating in ELI staff meetings and ID team meetings.
• Contributing to special projects as assigned to support the overall strategic mission of ELI.
Master’s degree with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in instructional design, educational technology, or equivalent field. Experience in instructional design and designing online courses.Preferred Qualifications
Doctorate in instructional design, educational technology, or related field.
QM peer-reviewer (PRC) certification preferred.
Significant experience in coordinating and managing course development and course revision projects from inception to completion.
Experience in both education and corporate instructional design.
Experience teaching online.
Experience working in a community college.
Excellent communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and user-support skills. Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, changing environment. Ability to work independently and with a team. Ability to balance attention to detail, attention to policies and procedures, consistency and logic with creativity, flexibility, and innovation. Comfortable working in partnership with faculty and skillful at successfully managing that partnership toward excellent course design outcomes. Ability to deliver a positive customer service experience. Thoroughly knowledgeable of pedagogy and best practices in teaching and learning online. Experience using a variety of technology tools to create multimedia content (e.g., Adobe Acrobat, Articulate, Camtasia, Captivate, SoftChalk, podcasting tools, Google Apps). Experience using Blackboard or other learning management systems to create, organize, and deploy instructional materials. Experience creating content for clients, preferably in the higher education environment.Operation of a State Vehicle No Posting Detail Information Open Date 05/13/2019 Close Date 06/13/2019 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants Background Check Statement
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background
investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as
I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s
Statement of Economic Interest.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master’s degree with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in instructional design, educational technology, or equivalent field?
- * Do you have experience in instructional design and designing online courses?
- * Do you have a QM peer-reviewer (PRC) certification?
- * Do you have significant experience in coordinating and managing course development and course revision projects from inception to completion?
- * Do you have experience in both education and corporate instructional design?
- * Do you have experience with instructional technology and learning management systems, such as Canvas?
- * Do you have experience teaching online?
- * Do you have experience working in a community college?
- * I understand that only information provided at the time of the application submission will be considered when determining my qualifications and only responses to Supplemental Questions that can be verified in my application and resume will be credited.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Other Document
- Unofficial Transcript 2