Job location: Hyde Park Campus
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-05-15
Department2010016 BSD - CHSSAbout the UnitThe Center for Health and the Social Sciences (CHeSS), founded in 2005, strives to continue the legacy at the University of Chicago for being a leader in both research and training at the intersection of health and the social sciences. We foster innovation and collaboration, as well as excellence in research, scholarship, and training. CHeSS staff supports the writing and submission of grant applications and fundraising proposals, brainstorms and coordinates new research initiatives and projects, and provides expert research methods consultation during formative and operational phases of work. The oral health research group at the University of Chicago Medicine (UCM) is launching a new UCM Dental Clinic. The research group is investigating the oral health of older adults (patients over 65 years of age) and identifying causal relationships between their oral and systemic health. For this study, the research group is looking to hire dental hygienists to provide services to our patient population enrolled within our study. Along with routine hygiene care, the hygienists will also have the opportunity to conduct administrative and operations activities at the UCM Dental Clinic. The clinic aims to provide care to more than 500 patients over the age of 65 years for a duration of 5 years. There will be a limited list of services as determined in the study protocol offered at the clinic including, but not limited to, oral examination, radiographic diagnosis, routine and deep cleanings, non-surgical extractions, restorations, and certain dentures. A team trained dental care providers depending on individual patient needs will provide these services.Job Information
The Dental Hygienist has the responsibility of providing preventive, therapeutic, and educational hygiene services for the patient of the University of Chicago Medicine Dental Clinic.
- Records periodontal charting in the UCM Dental EHR system.
- Examines teeth and surrounding hard and soft tissues for disease, lesions, and other abnormal conditions.
- Removes supra and sub gingival soft/hard deposits and stain from the teeth and endosseous dental implants, whenever necessary.
- Exposes and processes dental radiographs (intraoral and occlusal).
- Provides oral hygiene aids and educates patients on oral hygiene care.
- Administers local medicaments to periodontally involved areas, whenever necessary.
- Administers anesthetic and nitrous in accordance to licensure guidelines, whenever necessary.
- Administers fluoride, whenever necessary.
- Records patient vitals, whenever necessary.
- Schedules appointments for patients due for their prophylaxis and periodontal maintenance appointments, whenever necessary.
- Assists with several aspects of research in patient outcomes assessments that are required for data collection and analysis.
- Maintain general office environment. The position requires sitting for extended periods of time, visual acumen, manual dexterity and fingering for instrumentation and computer use.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Knowledge of instruments, aseptic techniques and sterilization procedures required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, students, staff, and patients of UCM Dental Clinic required.
- Ability to maintain an effective recall program and maintain a productive environment typical of private practice required.
- Intermediate level of experience with computer software such as Excel, Word, and Dental EHR required.
- Ability to obtain and record basic medical and dental histories and information and update patient appointment records required.
Education and Experience:
- Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) Registered Dental Hygienist required.
- Certificate of completing 2 years dental hygiene program approved by Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association required.
- Passing score on National Dental Hygienist Board Examination, with passing score as defined by the testing entity given by Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE) and has been issued a National Board Certificate required.
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) from American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or American Safety and Health Institute required.
- Two years of experience as a dental hygienist, handling administrative tasks, and managing a dental office preferred.
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the applicationBenefit EligibilityNoPay FrequencyMonthlyPay RangeDepends on QualificationsScheduled Weekly Hours19.5UnionNon-UnionJob is Exempt?YesDrug Test Required?YesDoes this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?NoHealth Screen Required?YesPosting Date2019-05-15-07:00Remove from Posting On or Before2019-11-15-08:00Posting Statement:The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.