Group Exercise Instructor
Job location: Herbert Wellness
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-05-10
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
Position: Group Exercise Instructor
Employer: University of Miami, Department of Wellness and Recreation, Herbert Wellness Center
Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director, Group Exercise and Community Classes, shall develop and implement an appropriate group fitness class emphasizing fun, safety, and effective conditioning.
1. National certifications or experience in the instructor’s specialty area is required pending availability and at the discretion of the Assistant Director.
2. Maintenance of current CPR is required.
3. Instructors shall have a complete and thorough understanding of all policies and procedures concerning the Group Exercise program and Department of Wellness and Recreation. Policies are covered in the DWR Student Employee Handbook, Fitness Instructor Manual, schedules and training sessions.
a. Instructors are required to be present at least 10 minutes before class starting time and available at least 10 minutes after class end time. Classes should start and end on time.
b. Each instructor is responsible for clocking in for their respective classes, and is also responsible for recording attendance of each class.
c. The microphone headset shall be used at all times during the class. The microphone and stereo shall be turned off after each use and stored appropriately. The battery rotation system must be learned and adhered to.
d. Each instructor shall ensure general cleanliness and safety of the room before, during, and after class. Equipment storage areas and equipment is the responsibility of the instructor and shall be left in good order after each class.
4. Instructors are responsible for finding appropriate substitutes before class. Failure to show for class or provide an appropriate substitute will be grounds for dismissal. Instructors shall notify the Assistant Director at least 24 hours prior to class of the substitution.
5. Instructors shall make a personal commitment to ensure the satisfaction of all participants, treat all participants with respect, concern and give personal attention when needed.
6. The instructor shall abide by any/all other DWR policies and perform any other duties as assigned.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Part timeEmployee Type:Temporary-IntermittentPay Grade:52