Academic Advisor- Academic Advising & Transfer Center (AATC)
Job Title: Academic Advisor- Academic Advising & Transfer Center (AATC)
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 982
Date: May 15, 2019
- Assist students in determining appropriate academic options that align with their career goals.Provide quality academic advising that helps students to recognize clear options as it relates to achieving their academic goals.Provide case management assistance to an assigned caseload of students which leads to development of an educational pathway to graduation, identification of obstacles along the pathway, and use of decision making skills that help to generate and evaluate alternatives as needed.Teach students to gather and organize accurate, relevant information necessary to their education, career, and personal development.Maintain clear and concise notes to document history of academic advice provided to individual students.Contribute to assessment related to student learning and departmental effectiveness.Assisting diverse population of students seeking academic advising assistance.Provide support as needed related to ADA Accommodations and Disability Support Services.Crisis Assessment and connecting students to appropriate mental health resources as needed.Serve as liaison to other departments of the college, community agencies, and educational institutions.Refer students to offices/services within the college and community agencies/services outside the college when appropriate.Knowledge of occupational credit and non-credit programs offered at GRCC.Monitor voicemail and email daily in order take appropriate action on student and staff requests.Understanding of confidentiality as related to FERPA guidelines.Understanding of the mission of community colleges.Maintain expertise in the advising field.Support the initiatives of Student Success and Retention through normal activities of faculty members.Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Social Work, Student Affairs, Counseling, or closely related field for advising work required.Counseling license preferred
- Prior experience working in a higher educational setting that provided academic advising and/or related services required.Bilingual English-Spanish strongly preferred
- Able to utilize the various technology resources required for the job (including but not limited to G-Suite, SARS, Image Now, Degree Works, and all Microsoft Office products).Must be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.Ability to ambulate around campus and sit for long periods and travel to off campus sites.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and respect diverse populations.Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.Proven ability to provide excellent customer service to students and staff in a demanding work environment.Pronounced interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions.Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.Have availability Monday-Thursday from 7:45 am to 6:30 pm and Friday from 7:45 am to 5:00 pm as well as some weekend and evening hours- varies by semester.