Music Librarian - Tisch Library
DescriptionThe Tisch Library at Tufts University supports teaching, learning, and the creation and dissemination of scholarship in the School of Arts & Sciences and School of Engineering. Through the provision of collections, subject expertise, and technology-rich research and learning environments, Tisch Library plays a critical role in advancing the mission of the University.
Reporting to the Director of Tisch Library, the Music Librarian manages a branch facility staffed with one full-time paraprofessional and a corps of student workers. Lilly Library supports a Music Department faculty of 8 tenure-stream members, one Research Professor, one Professor of the Practice, 5 Full-time Lecturers, 15 Part-time Lecturers, and over 40 private lesson Instructors. As the manager of the Lilly Music Library, the Music Librarian is an integrated and embedded liaison to the Music Department and to the larger musical community at Tufts University. The Music Department has experienced a strong period of growth and new achievement since the opening of the state-of-the-art Granoff Music Center in 2007, leading to the establishment of a newundergraduate major in Music, Sound, and Culture in 2018. The strong relationship of the library to the department’s programs, and the relationship of the librarian to the department’s faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, have been critical elements in this growth and achievement. The Lilly Music Library is located in the Granoff Center, adjacent to the Aidekman Arts Complex, on Tufts’ Medford/Somerville campus.
The Music Department encourages rich modes of interplay between scholarly specialties, composition, and performance, crossing boundaries and combining the curricular pillars of composition, ethnomusicology, music theory, musicology, and technology. The Librarian is responsible for reflecting the diversity of the department’s offerings when developing the collections in Lilly, and supporting research and instruction in music. A specialcollection in music enriches both the undergraduate and graduate curriculum with primary sources. The Music Librarian works closely with colleagues across Tisch Library to insure smooth delivery of services and materials.
The Music Librarian contributes to the collaborative leadership of the Tufts Libraries through Team and Working Group participation. Librarians at Tufts may engage in research, creative activity, and scholarship, and provide service to the University.
- Master's degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent.
- 3-5 years’ experience, or more, in an academic setting.
- Educational experience or background in the performing arts, particularly music.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of best practices, current issues, and trends in teaching information literacy skills and behaviors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong public service orientation.
- Ability to work both independently and collegially in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- Collection development experience in music.
- Advanced degree in a musical field.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership responsibility.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Tisch Library
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: May 10, 2019, 1:34:11 PM