Dean of Admissions - Schools of Arts and Sciences & Engineering
DescriptionTufts University seeks an energetic, thoughtful, andaccomplished individual to serve as its next Dean of Admissions. The successful candidatewill be an innovative and collaborative leader, with a facility to use andinterpret data to inform policy and process and to develop creative andtargeted admissions and recruitment strategies to support and further Tufts’distinctive educational priorities. Thedean will be a leader of and for admissions, with the vision to anticipate andrespond to the challenges and opportunities in selective higher education admissionsand to serve as an articulate spokesperson on campus and in the publicarena.Tufts is a leader inAmerican higher education, distinctive for its success as a moderately sizeduniversity that excels at research and provides students with a personalexperience. Its particular combination of research and liberal arts attractsstudents, faculty and staff who thrive in an environment of curiosity,creativity and engagement. The core of Tufts iscaptured in its mission and vision statements as well as the values andpriorities that will provide guidance over the coming years:
- Mission: Tufts is a student-centeredresearch university dedicated to the creation and application of knowledge. Weare committed to providing transformative experiences for students and facultyin an inclusive and collaborative environment where creative scholars generatebold ideas, innovate in the face of complex challenges and distinguishthemselves as active citizens of the world.
- Vision: To be an innovativeuniversity of creative scholars across a broad range of schools who have aprofound impact on one another and the world.
- Value Proposition: Creating andsustaining an environment that prepares to launch all our students into theworld fully prepared to chart a course for success requires effectivestewardship of our resources during a time of significant challenges in highereducation.
- Leads the development of an annual integrated marketing andcommunications plan to promote the University as an option for high-achievinghigh school students in a national and international context, includingdevelopment of relevant on-campus visitation programs and off-campuspresentations, the publication of JUMBO magazine three times per year, thecontinued development of a multimedia web presence, and utilization of currentand emerging social media in support of this objective.
- Plans strategically for changes in a competitive admissionsenvironment, with particular emphasis on application growth in key domesticmarkets and overseas.
- Oversees the continuing development of the admissionsprocess at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts.
- Chairs the selection committee in a “most-selective”environment and sets an entering class of roughly 1,500 first-year and transferstudents per year according to the annual budget priorities of the two schools;ensures the academic and personal quality of accepted students as well as theoptimization of the demographic composition of the incoming class.
- Develops and promotes innovative strategies to recruit andenroll a diverse student body; manages the University relationship with QuestBridge; partners with the Dean of Student Affairs to address structuralbarriers to access and retention, including the recruitment and selection ofstudents in BLAST and BEST, the summer bridge programs for students fromunder-resourced high schools.
- Designs and manages predictive yield models to enhanceselectivity, forecast enrollment, and maximize financial aid outcomes in aneed-sensitive environment. Developsdata analytic capacities to analyze and forecast recruitment and enrollmenttrends.
- Participates in the AS&E Enrollment Council, workingtogether with the schools’ executive deans, the financial aid director, andleaders from student affairs and housing to set enrollment policies and monitorenrollment trends.
- Manages the functionality of SLATE as the undergraduateadmissions recruitment and selection technical platform and the CommonApplication; assesses new and emerging technologies to determine their utilitywithin the University’s recruitment and selection practices.
- Partners with the Director of Athletics to recruit andenroll a qualified cohort of student athletes across 33 varsity teams; ensuresUniversity compliance with the recruitment and admission policies of the NewEngland Small College Athletic Conference; serves on the conference’s Deans’ Counciland as chair of that body as required by the conference rotation.
- Partners with the Tisch College of Civic Life in recruitmentand planning for the First Year Global Programs (the 1+4Service Learning Bridge Year and the newly initiated Civic Semester Program).
- Represents the University at speaking engagements at highschools across the US and abroad.
- Acts as admissions source for national media in concert withthe University’s Director of Media Relations and manages all media inquiriesrelated to admissions and financial aid in the School of Arts & Sciencesand School of Engineering.
- Participates in local and national conversations on highereducation issues like college accessibility and the value proposition of aliberal arts degree.
- Serveson School and University-wide committees, as needed, and staffs the School ofArts & Sciences & School of Engineering Faculty Committee on Admissions & Financial Aid.
QualificationsTheDean of Admissions possesses a broad vision of thecomplex issues facing American higher education as well as the leadership totranslate these external issues for the internal community. The Dean must be able to write and speak aboutthe breadth of these matters and provide a strategic, data-driven perspectiveto guide overall policy and strategy for the relevant administrativeunits. At least 10 years of substantiveadministrative experience in an undergraduate admissions office at the collegeor university level is required, with leadership experience in this arenapreferred. A bachelor’s degree isrequired; a graduate or professional degree is preferred. The Dean must be insightful, compelling, andarticulate, and must be receptive to new ideas and proactive about exploringand implementing them. As a public faceof the university, the Dean of Admissions must be able to represent theUniversity effectively while interacting with peers as well as various externalconstituencies. Tufts University has engaged Amy Sugin andMalissa Brennan of Koya Leadership Partners to lead this search. Please submitnominations, expressions of interest, and applications, including a compellingletter of interest and resumé here or at https://ats.k2-app.com/jobPosting/apply/3522.
Tufts does not discriminate in its educational programs oractivities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry,age, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender (includingpregnancy, sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct including acts ofsexual violence such as rape, sexual assault, sexual exploitation andcoercion), gender identity and/or expression (including a transgenderidentity), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, geneticinformation, or any other characteristic protected under applicablefederal, state or local law. Retaliation is also prohibited. Tuftswill comply with state and federal laws such as M.G.L. c. 151B, Title IX, TitleVI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act,Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discriminationin Employment Act, the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment and Rights Act,Executive Order 11246 and other similar laws that prohibit discrimination, allas amended. Tufts is an equal employment opportunity/ affirmative actionemployer. More detailed Tufts policies and procedures on this topic may befound in the OEO Policies and Procedures page.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Admissions - AS&E
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: May 9, 2019, 11:15:22 PM