Biology Faculty Deadline:2019-05-31Category:FacultyContact:Human Resources Department - [email protected]:
Department: Academic Affairs
Pay Grade: Instructor -- $44,436-$55,903
AssistantProfessor -- $48,436-$62,364
FLSA Status: Exempt (Full-time 10-month Faculty Position)
The position of Biology Faculty Member in theAcademic Affairs Division is available beginning August 15, 2019 for the Fall2019 semester. This position is on a full-time, 10-month basis.
JOB SUMMARY: The Faculty Member is responsiblefor planning and making available appropriate study materials,conducting educationally valuable activities in the classroom, using currentbest practice, making assignments of student work across learning styles, andevaluating and grading student progress. The faculty member will engage in peermentoring, possible student research and a variety of student-centered campusactivities. This position reports to the Chairperson of Sciences Division.
- Teachingthe equivalent of 30 teaching load hours over the academic year
- Administeringappropriate examinations including final examinations
- Maintaininga grade book
- Collectingand analyzing outcomes data
- Workingwith students on independent projects
- Leading,mentoring and overseeing curriculum and assessment
- Schedulingand posting a minimum of five hours per week of office hours
- Providingeducational advisement to students, including directing those in need ofassistance to appropriate laboratories, clinics, or counselors
- Cooperatingwith the library staff and program director to ensure adequate library andmaterials are available for each class
- Assistingin the curricular and staff development necessary to create new learningopportunities for students or to maintain the viability of current offerings
- Attendingdivisional meetings, general faculty meetings and college-wide meetings
- Remainingabreast in assigned field of study and pursuing additional formal education asappropriate
- Servingon appropriate college committees
- Performingother duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TOPERFORM WORK:Master's degree in biological sciences or in arelated field, two years’ full-time equivalent of experience autonomouslyteaching lectures and labs, and ability to use technology in teaching. Candidateswith Masters in Education with 18 graduate course credits in biologicalsciences will also be considered. Full-time equivalency is equated as havingtaught on average at least three biology courses per spring/fall semesters forat least two academic years with summer teaching considered. Teaching experience within the last fiveyears is preferred. Preference given to candidates with experience at thecommunity college level who have taught majors and non-major introductory levelbiology courses in active learning classroom environment. Must be positive,cooperative and supportive.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This work is normallysedentary work, which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionallyand/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry,push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Additionally,the following physical abilities are required: hearing, speaking, talking,visual acuity, mental acuity, repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding), standingand walking.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: College campus, directcontact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms,common areas, office, and campus environments. Use of safe workplace practiceswith office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidanceof trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations;observance of traffic signals when driving.
SALARY: The selected candidatewill be placed on the 10-month Carroll Community College Salary Scale at eitherthe Instructor or Assistant Professor rank based upon qualifications, withsalary placement commensurate with qualifications. Generally, the collegeplaces new faculty at the Instructor rank. Position includes excellentfringe benefit package.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To be considered, interested applicantsmust submit a cover letter toinclude minimum salary required, a resume, and a one- to two-page statement of teaching philosophy emailed to [email protected] or mailed tothe Human Resources Department at Carroll Community College, 1601 WashingtonRoad, Westminster, Maryland 21157, by May 31, 2019.To qualify for employment,candidates must successfully complete a criminal background check.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONFOR FACULTY APPLICANTS: The College pays one-half of reasonable travel expenses forthe first visit and pays the entire cost of travel for the second visit. The Collegedoes not pay relocation expenses or offer tenure. However, following a one-yearprobationary period, year-to-year contracts are provided until three years ofsatisfactory service are completed, after which time 3-year contracts areprovided."Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment."