Dean of the College of Business
Dean of the College of Business
at the University of West Florida in Pensacola
The University of West Florida, located in the beautiful panhandle of Florida, seeks an engaged, collaborative, and entrepreneurial academic leader to serve as Dean of the College of Business. The Dean reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President and holds the rank of Professor. Applications and nominations are invited.
Complete information is available in the Search Profile at https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/UWF-BusDean.pdf
The University of West Florida is a comprehensive regional state institution of higher learning in Pensacola. Serving nearly 13,000 students, the University is home to five academic colleges, offering a variety of undergraduate, graduate, specialist, and doctoral degree programs.
One of the academic colleges is the College of Business, which serves more than 1,800 undergraduate and graduate students. Enrollment in the College has increased nearly 18 percent over the past five years. While primarily serving students from Florida and Alabama, the College attracts students from across the nation.
The College of Business provides a student-oriented learning environment with engaging faculty who enable students to link textbook business skills with real-world problem solving. The academically prepared and professionally experienced faculty members are both educators and mentors.
The continuing excellence of the College’s academic programs and faculty is endorsed and acknowledged by the distinctive accreditation by AACSB International, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. In 2018, AACSB International awarded re-accreditation to the College.
Undergraduate and graduate degrees are offered, with an array of certificate programs. The College of Business consists of six departments and programs: Accounting and Finance; Global Hospitality and Tourism Management; Management and MIS; Marketing, Supply Chain Logistics, and Economics; MBA Program; and MAcc Program.
The College’s Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), Master of Accountancy (MAcc), and Master of Business Administration degrees are accredited by AACSB International.
Business students continue to bring national recognition to the University. UWF’s Supply Chain Logistics students are all-time leaders in the Annual Operation Simulation Case Competition in Denver, CO, having won twice and placed in the top three on multiple occasions. In 2018, UWF’s MBA team placed second at the national Business Case Competition: Masters Level. Additionally, a UWF student won the Grant Prize of $10,000 at MuniMod, a contest to help Florida cities modernize their operations.
Beyond the classroom, the College offers six centers and programs that serve and connect with the community.
- The Florida Small Business Development Center at UWF has six offices from Pensacola to Panama City to assist members of the Northwest Florida community in starting a new business, growing an existing business, seeking contracts with the government, or exporting products internationally.
- The Center for Entrepreneurship is dedicated to seeding economic growth and serves as a source of support for the complete life cycle of the entrepreneur.
- The Center for Supply Chain Management Excellence is a network of supply chain professionals and alumni, creating unique learning opportunities and exclusive student internship and career opportunities.
- Louis Maygarden Center for Financial Literacy focuses on improving the financial health and well-being of all persons residing in the UWF area.
- The Women in Leadership conference offers attendees the opportunity to hear from and connect with prominent women leaders who have achieved both personal and professional success.
- The Executive Mentor Program helps prepare students for successful careers in business by integrating academic learning with real-world experiences.
- This academic leadership position offers the opportunity to lead an excellent and growing College of Business with dedicated faculty and staff in a vibrant Gulf Coast city.
The Dean is responsible for all areas of the College’s administration and operations. These include, but are not limited to, the coordination of academic programs, curricula, and accreditation; student recruitment, retention, and graduation; faculty and staff recruitment, retention, and evaluation; and strategic budgeting and resource allocation. The Dean also has responsibilities in the coordination of external fundraising, grants, and contracts, and the management of facilities and equipment.
Strategic and Policy Planning
- Provide leadership in annual and long-term planning that is consistent with the University’s Mission and the strategic goals and objectives of the Division of Academic Affairs.
- Implement the policies of the University, Academic Affairs, and the College of Business.
Budget and Fiscal Management
- Formulate budgetary needs for the College.
- Ensure the careful and effective management of resources for the College.
- Allocate resources in support of teaching, research, service, and advising within the College.
College and Programmatic Leadership
- Maintain an environment that fosters and encourages distinguished teaching, scholarly and creative activities, service, and advising.
- Achieve and maintain accreditation, as appropriate, for programs in the College.
- Actively encourage the efforts of chairpersons and their faculties in creating innovative programs and activities, including those that are interdisciplinary in nature.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of academic programs within the College in face-to-face and online formats.
- Promote the effective assessment of programs and student learning outcomes and the use of assessment in improving teaching and learning.
Faculty Recruitment, Development, and Evaluation
- Enhance the quality of the College through the effective recruitment, retention, professional development, and evaluation of faculty and staff.
- Enhance the quality of the College through the effective recruitment,
- Ensure that all hiring is consistent with national, state, and University EEO/AA policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all employment actions and all student program and activity actions are consistent with national, state, and University policies and procedures related to individuals with disabilities.
- Ensure that interactions between and among faculty and students are free from sexual and racial bias and harassment.
Communications to Internal and External Audiences
- Act as spokesperson and advocate for the College to community, professional, governmental, funding, accrediting, and other agencies, institutions, or persons outside UWF.
- Represent the views of faculty and chairpersons within the College to the Division of Academic Affairs in matters relating to the College and University.
- Represent the views of the Division of Academic Affairs to the Chairpersons and faculty of the College in matters relating to the College and University.
- Promote outreach to and collaboration with community business partners.
Candidates must have an earned terminal degree in one of the disciplines represented in the College and significant administrative and supervisory experience that demonstrates capacity to serve as the College Dean. A record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service to qualify for appointment at the rank of tenured full professor within the College is strongly preferred, but not required. The Dean will have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and collegiality.
- Strong leadership skills to address the challenges of Florida’s performance-based funding model.
- Experience with budget management and strategic planning.
- Experience with professional program accreditation.
- Demonstrated success in developing and sustaining online education in business-related fields.
- Experience in developing or sustaining academic programs at a remote campus.
- Experience with curriculum design, program assessment, and faculty development.
- Demonstrated success in development and fundraising, with proven ability to attract external support.
- The ability to foster an open, creative, and collaborative environment within the College.
- Commitment to active involvement and leadership in professional organizations at the local, state, and national level.
University of West Florida
Founded in 1963, the University of West Florida is a vibrant, distinctive institute of higher learning with undergraduate, graduate, and targeted research programs. On January 1, 2017, Dr. Martha D. Saunders became the sixth president of the University. She had served as Provost and Executive Vice President of UWF since 2013.
President Saunders’ vision for UWF is for it to grow beyond its beginnings as a regional comprehensive university. She plans to build on the University’s strengths and its undergraduate traditions while creating programs that will attract the faculty and research funding needed to make the leap to the next level.
The University has received numerous national rankings and recognitions. The Chronicle for Higher Education has selected the University for its annual listing of “Great Colleges to Work For” six times since 2008. In 2018, PrincetonReview.com named UWF a “Best Regional College.” Forbes listed it as one of “America’s Top Colleges” for 2011, 2012, 2014-2018.
With multiple locations in northwestern Florida, the University offers more than 45 undergraduate degree programs, 25 master’s degree programs, two specialist degrees, a doctorate in education, and one PhD (in intelligence systems and robotics, beginning in Fall 2020). The University has five colleges: College of Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities; College of Business; College of Education and Professional Studies; Usha Kundu, MD College of Health; and Hal Marcus College of Science & Engineering.
Dedicated to helping students realize their full potential, UWF favors small class sizes with quality teacher-scholars who deliver personalized, hands-on learning, and leadership opportunities. The University offers a dynamic learning environment that inspires innovation, creativity, and collaboration and is focused on student success.
The University has three locations: Pensacola, Emerald Coast, and historic Pensacola. More than 60 percent of the students attend college full time.
The Pensacola Campus spans 1,600 acres and is located just minutes away from historic Pensacola and some of the world’s best beaches. It features state-of-the-art facilities, residence halls, and a beautiful landscape and offers a variety of recreational activities.
UWF serves students along the Emerald Coast through its Fort Walton Beach location and Crestview Office. Catering to the needs of traditional and non-traditional students, UWF Emerald Coast offers curriculums specifically for students who have earned 60 or more semester hours.
Managed by UWF Historic Trust, the University owns and operates 32 properties on 9 acres in historic Pensacola, including the Pensacola Museum of Art, as well as the Arcadia Mill archaeological site in Santa Rosa County. The properties include museums, centers, monuments, and sites, which serve as living laboratories for students interested in history, archeology, and tourism fields. UWF Historic Trust is a non-profit, direct-support organization of the University that is dedicated to collecting, preserving, interpreting, and sharing the history of Northwest Florida.
UWF fields 15 men’s and women’s intercollegiate sports. The Argonauts are members of the Gulf South Conference (East Division) of the NCAA Division II.
See more information at www.uwf.edu.
The westernmost city in the Florida Panhandle, Pensacola’s metropolitan area has a population of about 461,000. The outstanding blend of historic resolve and cosmopolitan progress creates a high quality of life in a welcoming and affordable city. Additionally, Florida does not have a personal state income tax.
In addition to its popular white sand beaches and numerous opportunities for water recreation, Pensacola is home to a vibrant arts and culture scene including the UWF Pensacola Museum of Art, Anna Lamar Switzer Center for Visual Arts, Museum of Commerce, Pensacola Lighthouse, Pensacola Historic Museum, Ballet Pensacola, Pensacola Symphony Orchestra, and Pensacola Saenger Theatre. The city also hosts annual festivals, cultural events, and performances throughout the year.
Known as the “Cradle of Naval Aviation,” Pensacola boasts American air and space history. The city is home to the first U.S. Naval Air Station, established in 1914, and the National Naval Aviation Museum.
Convenient to both I-10 and I-65, the city is three hours from Tallahassee, four hours from New Orleans, and approximately five hours from Atlanta.
Application and Nomination Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed; nominations are invited.
To Apply - Applications must include: 1) Letter of interest, 2) Current curriculum vitae, and 3) At least five references with full contact information, including e-mail addresses. (References will not be contacted without applicant’s consent.)
Submit applications to [email protected] by September 2, 2019, for best consideration.
Submit nominations to [email protected] with complete contact information, including the e-mail address, for the individual being nominated.
Emily Parker Myers, CEO, and Kenny Daugherty, President, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting are assisting the University with this search.
The University of West Florida is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Disabled/Veteran employer. Any individual requiring special accommodations to apply is requested to advise UWF by contacting Human Resources at 1-850-474-2694 (voice) or 1-850-857-6158 (TTY). A criminal background check is required for successful candidates. E-Verify requirements may apply for employment in certain positions. All applications for employment at the University are subject to Florida public records law.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite , Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com
Apply for Dean of the College of Business
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly