San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Closing Date: 6/2/2019
Campus Location: San Jose City College
The Accounting Technician reports to the Business Services Supervisor at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.POSITION PURPOSE
Under the supervision of a fiscal manager, the Accounting Technician performs full-charge bookkeeping or paraprofessional level accounting work in reviewing, entering, and maintaining program information, claims, reports, budget, and expenditure review and analysis for program contracts, and provides financial reports on contract and program performance.
The Accounting Technician is a journey-level paraprofessional accounting classification. This classification is different from Sr. Accounting Technician in that the Sr. Accounting Technician requires a demonstrated ability to develop financial summary statements by converting journal entries to general ledger then to consolidated summaries, develop variance and special cost reports, independently produce financial reports for special funds, and lead or orient other staff members in all facets of accounting operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Updates and maintains the chart of accounts daily. Reviews account balances, preparing, and/or coordinating adjustments to budgeted line items.
2. Verifies accuracy of amounts and postings of transactions, including those posted by others. Posts and balances subsidiary ledgers such as accounts payable and receivable, and transfers data to general ledger. Traces transactions to determine discrepancies.
3. Classifies, codes, and consolidates charges, rates and related financial information to an automated accounting data entry system.
4. Follows pre-established accounting controls when making accounting and budget adjustments to ledgers, balance sheets, fund accounts, and special accounts.
5. Prepares statistical and financial reports requiring skill at researching information from financial data management systems. Documents and provides detailed direct-and-indirect cost accounting for projects, classes, supplies, books.
6. Participates in preparing complex financial reports that include but are not limited to, the monthly closing of books, responsibility reporting, and special reports to funding agencies. Depending on the specific assignment, may be expected to produce balance sheets and income statements using double-entry bookkeeping.
7. Prepares invoices for accounts receivable and/or other reimbursable services. Follows-up with overdue accounts to collect outstanding balance.
8. Receipts and accounts for cash and credit card charges received in payment for services. Reconciles daily cash receipts and refunds as assigned.
9. May calculate items such as employee wages, time and work reports, materials and labor charges, supply and equipment charges. May prepare related reports.
10. Independently prepares regularly recurring reports to funding agencies in standardized formats. The reports contain financial performance data, program outcome data, and other legal, demographic, and contractual compliance requirements.
11. Manipulates data management systems to produce custom, yet recurring reports, requiring a working knowledge of the relationships of financial data.
12. Assists others in formulating the annual budget for the District. Researches, compiles, and tests the validity of information provided by departments.
13. Participates with others in making salary and benefit calculations that may include research and validation of historical payroll and contribution information.
14. Recommends processes, techniques, and ideas for optimizing compliance and reporting efficiency.
15. Performs accounting clerical data entry activities involved in the preparation, audit and maintenance of department and program accounting and purchasing transactions including follow-ups with vendors, returns, and credits. Prepares documentation for purchasing transactions and maintains on-going inventory of supplies, materials, and books.
16. Perform other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Techniques, practices, and terminology of financial and cost accounting, bookkeeping, and audit.
2. Budget development and maintenance procedures.
3. Business mathematics and recordkeeping.
4. Organization of clerical office procedures and methods for an accounting office.
5. Spreadsheet programs and data entry requirements in an automated fiscal system.
6. Sufficient reading skill to understand accounting information found in regulations and professional journals.
7. Well-developed interpersonal skills to convey technical concepts to others and achieve harmony with a small work team.
8. District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
9. Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
1. Enter data onto standardized formats using computerized database programs by using keyboards or 10-key skills and calculators.
2. Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately including sums, averages, fractions, decimals, and rations, etc.
3. Document accounting transactions onto an automated accounting data entry system.
4. Maintain accurate financial and statistical records with speed and accuracy.
5. Assist in the preparation of special reports.
6. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
7. Prioritize and perform work in order to meet, monthly, quarterly and annual schedules and timelines.
8. Carry out directions independent of close supervision.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma plus one year of college level course work in accounting or bookkeeping.
2. Three years of experience in a production oriented record keeping capacity.
Licenses and Requirements:
1. Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid California driver’s license.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
District’s Diversity Requirements
$54,326 - $66,385 Annual Salary (Range 85: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2017-2018). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District’s emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency