Director of Publications and Media Relations
This position leads Becker College’s external communications through oversight of media relations/PR issues, the development of multimedia stories for social media and the web, and serving as editor and writer for Becker Magazine. TV journalism expertise is a plus. Responsibilities include managing media relations for the College, developing and overseeing videography for creating compelling visual storytelling, handling and prioritizing media inquiries, familiarity with crisis communications, expertise in dynamic writing and editing, developing and fostering strong media contacts, and leading and increasing positive external coverage for the College and its community.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, political science, marketing, public relations, communications, or related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible, professional experience in journalism, media, communications, or related fields. TV journalism expertise is a plus, as are photography and videography expertise.
- Knowledge of media and public relations principles, practices, and strategies; crisis planning and communications; and social media principles and practices.
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
- Developing creative concepts and messages to achieve desired objectives and College branding.
- Managing projects and handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Exceptional writing, editing, fact-checking, and proofreading skills.
- Extensive knowledge and skill in all editorial processes including story development, quality control, design, and collaboration. Proven ability to develop, assign, and edit high quality, multiplatform storytelling. Ability to synthesize complex material from multiple sources to identify and resolve key editorial and publication issues.
- Experience working in print publication production management and collaborating with designers, printers, photographers, and freelancers.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to plan, budget, and track and manage resources. Ability to consistently manage, handle, and follow through with multiple projects and assignments and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong ability to exercise sound judgment, including demonstrated ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of publication and information release to internal and external audiences.
- Proficient with Microsoft office suite of applications; website software; digital asset management system; and online project tracking software. Ability to learn and use new technologies and applications in depth at level of proficiency required of the duties of the position.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, and to work collaboratively with diverse populations.
- Flexibility, energy and creative-problem solving skills are required to prioritize projects.
- Ability to travel between campuses.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to [email protected]
Becker College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender identification, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.