May 15, 2019
Amherst College invites applications for the Third Cook position. The Third Cook is a full time, year round position, job group and level AO-2. The Third Cook supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services by providing the campus community with excellent service through the quality production of our breakfast and lunch menus. This position supports a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. This position ensures that the quantity and quality of our production are consistent with the standards of Dining Services and works with members of the team to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations.
The Third Cook produces menu components from fresh and exceptional ingredients and is proficient in the technical skill and knowledge required to achieve this, being well versed in food, its history, and trends. This position involves direct customer interaction and display/demonstration cooking requiring oneself to present at all times in a professional, approachable and supportive manner.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College’s operational needs, but generally is Thursday through Monday, beginning at 11:30 am to 8:00 pm. At times, this position may be asked to assist with evening production in student dining or assist with catering and campus-wide events at any time. As our work is central to student life, their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation - Prepare assigned menu items to standard while adhering to standardized recipes and production methods, maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations, ensure all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner, set-up food items, manage the rotation of goods to ensure highest quality, perform work in a safe and efficient manner, communicate operational needs and concerns effectively and pro-actively
- Menus - Help create, maintain, and serve seasonal, fresh menus from exceptional ingredients, assist with product and process refinement, new product research, correct discrepancies
- Inventory - Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas, inspect deliveries, communicate product needs through appropriate channels, work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current ServSafe Manager Certification or be able to achieve within (6) months of employment
- Allergen Awareness as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2 + years of food preparation experience including hot and cold food production, breakfast production and egg cookery, high volume catering/banquet production, buffet presentation, a’la carte cooking, baking, and pastry
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
- Attention to detail
- Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
- Successfully complete a pre-employment physical and lift test
- Associate’s degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts preferred
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!