May 15, 2019
Amherst College invites applications for the Administrative Coordinator position. The Administrative Coordinator is a full time, year round position, job group and level AO-4. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst’s students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our students identify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Administrative Coordinator supports the administrative and logistical efforts of the Emily Dickinson Museum; serves as a liaison to the campus community and the general public; and manages inventory and the financial health of the Museum shop; and manages databases. In addition, the Coordinator recommends and implements process improvements to meet organizational needs and optimize efficiency, as well as creates and documents procedures for financial operations. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Financial Operations - Manages the financial operations of the museum shop, processes all accounts payable/receivable, invoices for remittance, charges/credits, purchasing card transactions, reimbursements, special payments and honoraria, and gift transactions, provides reports and interprets data, reconciles cash and credit tills and prepares cash deposits, prepares payroll for processing.
- Administrative - Prepares documents, correspondence, and reports, coordinates the printing, production, and mailing of mass communications, maintains the central calendar, purchases and maintains office supplies, equipment, and merchandise, fields inquiries and on-line gift shop orders, assists with the maintenance of the website, provides administrative support to the Executive Director and other staff.
- Database Management - Manages data in eTapestry and TAM point-of-sale database systems, generates and analyzes inventory and sales reports, provides training for staff using the databases.
- Programs, Events & Tours - coordinates logistics for fund-raising events and Board of Governors’ meetings, maintains detailed records of tour admissions and program attendance, provides staffing support for programs and special events, and Tour Center.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 5 years of related experience in lieu of a degree
- 3 years of related experience (3+ years of related experience preferred)
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access, and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, problem solving, organizational and time-management
- Experience composing text for program descriptions and websites, acknowledgement letters and other correspondence, sales materials, etc.)
- Demonstrated high level of attention to detail and initiative
- Commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- Work occasional weekends and/or evenings to support events or Tour Center operations
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!