Associate Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations
Job Description Summary
This position is charged with planning and implementing giving strategies designed to maximize corporate and foundation philanthropic support for Bentley University to meet the university's current priorities. The position serves as a liaison between corporations/foundations and the university to identify mutual interests to develop partnerships that will result in significant philanthropic support. The role is expected to maintain a robust schedule of appointments for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major corporate and foundation prospects and donors. The position will work closely with other departments within the division of University Advancement and across campus. This position is ideal for an experienced and dynamic fundraiser with exceptional writing and oral communication skills, as well as a passion for building relationships.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of 100 corporate and foundation prospects.
- Effectively present the case for engagement and philanthropy to prospects.
- Create and maintain strategies to secure major corporate and foundation gifts of at least $50,000.
- Serve as Advancement liaison with the External Relations, Sponsored Programs, Executive Educations, the Center for Women and Business, and Career Services teams.
- Partner with Leadership Gift Officers to maximize prospect and donor relationships that will result incorporate and foundation support.
- Develop and write letters of inquiry, proposals complete with budgets, and progress reports.
- Partner with deans, faculty and staff to match institutional funding opportunities with funders' giving priorities.
- Develop and articulate a deep knowledge of the culture at Bentley University: its history and mission; academic, co-curricular and athletic programs; its faculty, students and administration.
- Meet departmental standards, policies and procedures with respect to all aspects of the position.
- 10% travel required.
- Evening and weekend hours required occasionally.
- Complete, file and maintain accurate and thorough contact reports, and other productivity reports.
- Work with Donor Relations team on acknowledgements and other stewardship materials.
- Attend university and external functions as recommended. Serve on committees as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Candidate will have 5-7 years of corporate and/or foundation fundraising, or closely related experience with emphasis on relationship cultivation and closing negotiations. Experience in higher education, academic medical centers or other large non-profits is preferred.
- A valid US driver's license and the ability to travel are required.
- General knowledge of fundraising practices, procedures, and current trends in corporate and foundation fundraising.
- Ability to deliver a strong entrepreneurial approach to fundraising, including demonstrated ability to look at external opportunities that can be matched with internal needs of the university.
- Excellent judgment and tact with working with university administrators, faculty, staff and corporate and foundation officers.
- Excellent written communication skills, including demonstrated writing and editing skills in preparing proposals and related correspondence.
- Excellent verbal communication, public speaking and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple demands and projects simultaneously, think creatively, and solve problems.
- Ability to collaborate with others and work in a team environment.
- Typical office setting with extensive sitting and computer work.
- Travel may occur outside of standard business hours including nights and weekends.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.